1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

..and the best seller at this weekends car boot was....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by samjet, Mar 28, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    on sunday popped out to my local car boot as i do most weekends (had some very good dvd buys in the past :D )

now this is a small local affair held in a field - due to the weather there were only about thirty stalls - but at least 4 were selling illegal dvd's quite openly :mad:

the best seller was without doubt VALIANT but others were selling well

now normally when the weather is better you can get up the 100+ stands and there will always be 1 or 2 with dodgy dvds

the site owner used to have a notice warning against selling/buying illegal goods etc but this has vanished and it seems anything goes (forgot to mention the tobacco vendor)

do trading standards etc ever bother to vist these smaller sales?? - i would doubt it since a 'quick exit' by the traders would be impossible

your thoughts would be appreciated

2. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well just come back from the same site again as there was another car boot on today - sorry that should say bank holiday market :D

you know the sort - sweat shop jeans and t shirts!!

anyway there were 2 stalls selling counterfeit dvds for £5 each - when i challlenged one of the guys he admitted they were copies - but who the hell was he to worry as both stalls were not exactly without punters

very professional looking stalls with all the 'goods' on full display

back to my original question does anybody ever check up on these markets etc??

if FACT operated a financial reward system i am sure that we could all make a quick profit and rid the world of these parasites :cool:

3. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Why must they offer financial reward?

If you know these people are selling copies why don't you report them to FACT?

Adrenochrome.

4. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hi,

I remember about 18 months back at my local boot sale, a large amount of police grouped around the entrance of the field.
    As the missus and I wandered around, we came accross a very large stall selling pirate copies (dvd's and cd's). The stall was being staffed by 5 guys and was doing a roaring trade as people were crowding round three deep.
    Just as we passed by the stall, about 10 police officers swooped on the stall. People started running, and one of the stall holders made a dash for freedom but did'nt get very far as there were a few plain clothes cops posing as cutomers.

Needless to say ALL were arrested, the stall closed and all the "goods" were removed by the police.
    Since then I have not seen any stall selling pirated copies, and hope never to see any more.
    As has been said on many other posts on the forums, if the demand for pirate copies is there, then the pirates will continue to supply. Lets hope there are more raids on boot sales/markets etc so they get the message.

5. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thats a fair comment and one i will have to address :D

but surely it would be in their interest to provide an incentive since they seem to make a big enough song and dance about the whole piracy issue but seem more interested in chasing folk online through file sharing sites who to be honest are not making a business out of it :confused:

maybe thats the easier option than trekking round muddy fields on a sunday morning - futhermore local trading standards don't do a lot apart from hassling landlords over whether a pint should have a head or not :rotfl:

on some car boots i have seen the organisers checking what is being sold and ejecting the dodgy dealers - what is the site operators legal postion with regard to who they allow to trade?

6. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Closing down a bootleggers illegal business is incentive enough for me :)

7. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Welcome to the real world............

8. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    welcome to the police state. :eek:

the real parasites are the dvd companies/retails milking the consumer for £20 to buy the same film theyve got on vhs then rerelease it several times in special editions.

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202

erm, no one is forcing you to buy the product, and there are plenty of legitamte online sites you can get dvds from for less than the highstreet price and certainly less than £20.00. Maybe if the industry didnt lose so much money from the sale of pirate material the proces may fall a bit more :)

10. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Or they may realise that there is no competition from other sources and can charge what they like.... :devil: just playin devils advocate :devil:

11. Wolfman310

Wolfman310

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't condone, and have never bought an illegal dvd, all mine are legit.

But i feel if the prices were less then it would cut down on piracy i think. Say, £8 for a new dvd would be excellent.

Not doing anything is not the answer, but i think the attitude many have, its nothing to do with me, where i think if there was a financial reward, then people would go out their way to shop these parasites.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    dvds I buy
    cost $10 in the USA, cost E8 in Germany
    How about, they sell them for the same price and uncut in the UK.
    Copyright is just another way for Corporations to oppress the proletariat.

13. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Fully agree. If the distributors/studios/whoever sold their DVDS/CDS at a lower price then it would be less of an incentive for pirating. If you had an official DVD retailing at £8 then a pirate copy would need to sell for a £2/£3. Personally I don't think the seller or the buyer would feel this worthwhile and hence pirating would be heavily reduced!

Although I do also agree that the people who pirate as a trade should be pursued MORE than the odd guy who sits in his room making a copy for a friend or downloading a copy. Both are wrong but one is worse than the other. Although just like speeding cameras its easier to get a fine paid from a person who fears the law than someone who doesn't.

14. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the point of my post was to really question what if any action trading standards and FACT take to stop this trade

the current price of dvds in the country has no bearing on the traders i witnessed since their trading pitch was that most of the dvds they were selling had not yet been released in the uk :(

i have only knowingly seen one pirate dvd (LOR) and the quality was so bad it was binned after 5 minutes viewing

mind you there are some traders in these discs in the most unlikely of places - about 2 years ago i had a home cinema system installed by a major high street department store (not comet,curry's, etc) and the installer tried to sell me discs :eek: - i have deliberately not named the company since i later discovered that were overwhelmed with installs and had sub contracted out some of the work

15. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,551
    Police state? Rubbish. It's the obligation of every citizen to report crime.
    You can't just blame 'the DVD companies' (whoever thay are) and retailers.
    It's technological advances which produce higher quality video which regenerates the consumer demand for the same movies over and over.
    What I object to is the standard release and then 6 months later the Director's Cut or the SE or the Superbit.
    This is the morally questionable practise which I object to.
    The only good side of this is that it makes the used DVD market more boyant (as people sell the first releases after buying the SE's).

16. lurker75

lurker75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never knowingly and as far as I know unknowingly ever seen a pirate DVD. All of my DVDs are completely legitimate although I do wonder if piracy was successfully abolished whether the studios would in fact rise their prices because there would be no competition from illegal sources. Don't get me wrong I don't condone piracy but the studios and distributors are hardly innocent, ripping off us legitimate DVD collectors with new improved editions being released all the time, time after time. Let's face it how many of us haven't doubled dipped on several occasions... Not many I bet. Maybe if people didn't feel like they were being taken for a ride more people would buy from legitimate sources.

One thing that is taken for granted when talking about piracy is that usually the less well-off are the people who buy these DVDs. Sure you can say that you can buy DVDs cheap on the internet especially from abroad but if you can't afford or have poor credit you can't get a credit card, so you can't take advantage of most of these cheap deals. Making DVDs more affordable in this country would no doubt help smash piracy and that's exactly what the studios do in Asia. If I recall correctly Warner Brothers intends to start selling DVDs in China with virtually no extras for about £4 to take back the market share from pirated DVDs. I'm not saying they should be as cheap as that but £8/£10 for a new release would put a serious dent into the Pirates coffers.

17. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    lurker - you have a valid point about the type of people buying these dvd's!!

without trying to start a class war or social stereotyping i would certainly have to say the people i saw buying the said dvds were not the higher earners - quality is therefore probably less subjective for them as they are unlikely to be viewing on £2k plus plasmas :(

that said at £5 each they were not a give away - certainly more than dvd rental in any case!! - think it was more a case of wanting them because they are not currently available on the uk market

18. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    Be careful, but that sure sounds like stereotyping to me !

DVD's have been overpriced for a long time and that gives rise to the counterfeit market. Whether it be DVD's or Gucci, Luis Vuitton handbags.. as sure as eggs are eggs... if it's overpriced and a knock off can be had for less then people will go for it.

It's not a chicken or egg situation. The DVD market is borne and then the parasites latch on.

I'm not condoning it but if you go to places like Malaysia or Thailand you'll have a hard job trying to find an original ! If the Police closed that industry down it would affect their economy !

The Carboot traders sell, the public that buys can't get enough. They are both as bad as each other and feed off each other.

The Policing in this country has gone to the dogs. Crimes like these are easy wins throughout the country and if they did this more regularly it would give us all a sense that they were doing their jobs. However I've got a feeling in some areas if they did these raids in some car boots, the public there would turn on them.

So now in those instances as with everything else they can't be bothered with...they exercise what they call tolerance... :rolleyes:

20 years ago the word Policeman was synonymous with Bobby on the beat, nowadays Policeman means a cushy deskjob. ;)

19. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Wouldn't call getting kicked,punched,spat on and bitten never mind the verbal abuse a "cushy" number

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    That assumes you must get to see them in the flesh in your area ? Not round here you don't, not even when you call them :rolleyes:

It's also enforces exactly my point. They dont want to get any kind of abuse and the best way of ensuring that is to stay at the desk all day.

I don't condone crime and I don't have any sympathy for the police in this country. They are as bad as each other, after all it takes thief to catch a thief ?

Modern life is about self-policing, minding your own business and just getting on with it, that's the reality of the situation.

21. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Oh the irony :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

22. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Bullocks

23. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    I suppose everyones conditioned by their experiences and it sounds like you guys have only good ones. Lucky you :rolleyes:

24. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    :boring:

25. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I hear tripe like this all the time , several members of my family are serving police officers and believe me , you wouldn't tolerate their job if offered multiples of the salary offered. Abolish the police force and then see how comfortable all our lives are.
    stu

26. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    A friend of mine used to be in the CID :rolleyes:

Didn't say abolish them, would like to see more effective policing in actual fact.

27. stu mcc

stu mcc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    :) Is that the thief who was catching thieves by any chance?

28. mw01908

mw01908
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The police ought to stop concentrating on trivial things like DVD pirates (and speeding motorists) and go and solve some real crime. No wonder the country is in the state its in today with violent crime up and up and up since Labour came to power.

Vote them out next month.

Oh and if DVD prices were more reasonable over here then the pirates market would disappear.

29. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    I don't think it would

IMHO, what really fuels the market for pirates is the studio's release schedule policy!

Most of the demand is for films not yet available here on DVD legitimately, and in some cases, not yet cinema released here either, so the UK price of the legitimate product isn't really the issue (ie there often is no legitimate UK product)
    Finding Nemo was a classic case - at one point it was the most pirated DVD of all time in the UK (according to a piece on the BBC news site) - they released it on DVD in the USA several weeks before it even did the cinema rounds over here - and guess what happened!

I think the studios haven't helped themselves to a degree - but I also think they have a longer term plan to deal with the issue. Gradually there'll be a move towards global release dates for both cinema and (H)DVD releases, and I suspect a far more robust regional coding and content protection system is on the way for HDVD.

I also agree that the studio's often cynical marketing doesn't endear them to the public either - the LOTR trilogy springs to mind, where the extended DVD versions were held back while the theatrical release versions did the rounds on DVD first.

As for the police - I think this is another case where they are damned by some sections of the public whatever they do.
    Do nothing and they are lazy and useless and couldn't give a toss.
    Actively pursue the pirates and they suddenly become the sword of corporate greed, and "shouldn't they be spending their time catching real criminals anyway"!
    :confused: :rolleyes:

30. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    And he only asked Sarge to sharpen his pencil....... :rotfl: