1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

and now for the cables...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by helenj, Feb 12, 2003.

1. helenj

helenj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a newby, picking up my new kit is an interesting and involved path. I now have a Pioneer 656 DVD, a (pending ;-) Pioneer 2011 amp, and Atlantic Tech 450e THX speaker system.

So, the next thing to discover is cable. How and with what do I connect the speakers?

I've read that some use mains cable, others use Maplin microphone cable, others use bell wire, others use mega-bucks cable, and yet others use cheap cable. Some say there's no difference, others say there's loads of difference.

So, any advice / recommendations / comments on how to best connect my kit together?

2. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the minority here but I believe you should spend as much as possible on speaker cable, I found a noticeable improvement when I upgraded from £5 per meter QED Silver to £20 per meter QED XT400, others disagree.

Avoid biwiring as it's pointless, stick to the norm. Banana plugs are great for easing hook up and protecting the bare wire from oxidisation, highly recommended. Ensure your speaker cable run is equal in length for both the front pair of speakers and the rear pair/s. The rear speakers don't need expensive speaker cable, I use QED Qudos at £1.50 per metre.