And I thought Dubai Taxi drivers were bad...

AVF Jay

Banned
Last edited:

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I was in Saudi last year and I know I was going to a holy place but the ride from Jeddah to Makkah had me praying twice as hard! Some serious nutters on the roads there.

Also had a few days in Qatar which was really nice. They have very harsh fines there (£6k for jumping a red) so people are well behaved.

Off to Pakistan soon, should be interesting . . .

Steven

Senior Moderator
Also had a few days in Qatar which was really nice
You kidding? OK maybe not as bad as India but the nice thing about Qatari taxis is firmly limited to widespread air con. It is the norm to swerve across three lanes on a roundabout to take the immediate exit. Any miniscule of an opening results in a vehicle bolting out onto a main highway into whichever lane it takes its fancy to. Zero use of indicators, erratic braking without warning and you are best using instinct than relying on any hope of courtesy or patience. Don't just take my word for it

Deaths and violations by the numbers | Qatar Behind the Wheel

Ayub

Distinguished Member
I was in Saudi last year and I know I was going to a holy place but the ride from Jeddah to Makkah had me praying twice as hard! Some serious nutters on the roads there.

Also had a few days in Qatar which was really nice. They have very harsh fines there (£6k for jumping a red) so people are well behaved.

Off to Pakistan soon, should be interesting . . .

Come to the frontier, its um enlightening, spiritually awakening.

IGNORE THE TEXT he is not saying anything as nice lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOwXcdgMoA&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
You kidding? OK maybe not as bad as India but the nice thing about Qatari taxis is firmly limited to widespread air con. It is the norm to swerve across three lanes on a roundabout to take the immediate exit. Any miniscule of an opening results in a vehicle bolting out onto a main highway into whichever lane it takes its fancy to. Zero use of indicators, erratic braking without warning and you are best using instinct than relying on any hope of courtesy or patience. Don't just take my word for it

Deaths and violations by the numbers | Qatar Behind the Wheel

To be honest I was only there for few days and in total only in cars a handful of times. This was in Doha though, maybe it is different elsewhere.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
LOL, i lived in Dubai for 3 years and worked all over the Middle East in Saudi, Qatar, Oman etc and the driving there is some of the worst in the world. The road system is utter crap and looks like it was designed by a monkey. Its supposedly based on Las Vegas' infrastructure. Hmm, i don't remember the yanks being this stupid?? Some of the things i saw daily:

Cars pushing in at any and every opportunity. Politeness and etiquette doesn't exist over there. They won't queue, they will just go down the side of traffic and push in at the front

Zero patience

Tailgating

Practically no highway rules or nothing is enforced

Cars coming down the footpath to pass you

Cars going over and across roundabouts to get in front of traffic. I kid you not, some of these roundabouts (especially on Emirates road) are about 3/4 mile wide and the Arabs just go straight across them in their 4x4's and push in at the far side.

I also used to pass about 10 complete write off wrecks every day without fail.

And when it rained...................Jesus, that was terrifying as their driving didn't change. It would rain hard for about a week in Jan every year and would flood everywhere. Would that slow the driving....not a chance. It was almost like, Allah would protect them. I was working and on my way back from Abu Dhabi when a pea soup fog came down on SZR and there was a 200 car pile up 10 miles outside Jebel Ali. Quite a few were killed with cars fireballing and the road was closed for 3 days to clear the mess. The burn marks and melted tarmac are still there now

Other than that massive crash, those were just some of the things that were everyday occurances commuting round. It was a nightmare. It took me a good 6-12 months to get back to the serenity and politeness of driving back here and even now when i am at lights, if a car pulls alongside me, i subconciously pull closer to the car infront as i'm assuming he/she is going to try and push into my lane. Thats how bad it gets and affects you.

Driving is mental over there and you either have to step up to the madness or just not bother. I would never ever go back to that pig sty of a country. Awful place, but i'm not going to rant about it here.

India is just as bad as i've worked and driven there as well. You have to remember though that these countries were third world until 50 years ago and driving is still a relatively new concept for them and with no one to setup the highway infrastructure properly, that is the result. As all the driving instructors in Dubai have are from India, then they no chance of teaching others how to drive properly as they don't know how themselves and have never learned or driven in a country with an effective highway infrastructure. Its a domino effect.

Last edited:

AVF Jay

Banned
Yeah it got to the stage where I didn't want to take a cab in the evenings.

Only thing was the humidity was awful so there was no way we could walk in the evenings to anywhere as we were miles away from anything.

In the end we started taking the bus provided by the hotel into the town.

I am normally good in cars, but I used to be really scared in the cabs.

When I got back to england which I thought had awful drivers it put them into perspective.

As you even said the same, it was shocking to see a crash everyday on the roads.

And the cars drive fast, I didn't see any little one litre fiestas or anything, it's all big engine big cars, and jeeps and these people are nuts.

Has anyone ever seen some idiot on the m25 driving up peoples ass swerving and undertaking, well the majority are that same idiot in dubai.

No indicators, and they will flash you to move, honestly at night it's like a light parade with everyone flashing.

One positive of the country is the cleanliness, honestly when I landed at the airport for the first time it was spotless, I would have eaten off the floor.

When I landed here it made me realise what a dump this country is in places.

Last edited:

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Actually. Even before we saw any Arab roads I was crapping it at the airport in the shuttle that takes you from the plane to the terminal. Those guys are crazy as hell..

Steven

Senior Moderator
To be honest I was only there for few days and in total only in cars a handful of times. This was in Doha though, maybe it is different elsewhere.
Don't worry about it, count yourself lucky. The things I was describing was what I had to pray my way through in the back of a taxi :laugh: An astonishingly beautiful country but no idea how they will cope with WC visitors. Maybe they will sort the roads out in that time?

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Don't worry about it, count yourself lucky. The things I was describing was what I had to pray my way through in the back of a taxi :laugh: An astonishingly beautiful country but no idea how they will cope with WC visitors. Maybe they will sort the roads out in that time?

I read somewhere that they are going to set up a new railway or monorail system for the world cup in Doha.

They will definitely need it as there is only really one official taxi company there and buses seemed few and far between.

Also the new airport should be finished next year. Doha is basically a hub like Dubai now and the current airport is basic to say the least. Wasn't the best place to spend 7 hours during a stopover.

RugbyAl

I spent a long weekend in Dubai once, the driving is indeed frightening! I remember being loaded 7-up in a Landcruiser to go to a Desert Safari, the driver was doing about a 120mph in the outside lane of the dual carriageway, everyone sat in the back with 'white knuckles'!

The 4x4 driving in the dunes was awesome though!

I remember shopping down in the old town one morning until the heat got to much to bear and we decided to head back to the hotel for a dip, we climbed in the first taxi and had gone about 100yds when the taxi driver told us the air-con wasnt working...The outside temp gauge on the dash read 48°C :eek:

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Yeah it got to the stage where I didn't want to take a cab in the evenings.

I am normally good in cars, but I used to be really scared in the cabs.

When I got back to england which I thought had awful drivers it put them into perspective.

As you even said the same, it was shocking to see a crash everyday on the roads.

And the cars drive fast, I didn't see any little one litre fiestas or anything, it's all big engine big cars, and jeeps and these people are nuts.

My parents, Sister and Bro-in-law used used to come out regularly to see us for a holiday and the one thing they hated above all else was getting taxi's. I generally used to drive everywhere but it wasn't always possible if i was working and like you have said, you literally take you life into your hands in the cabs. They are all Indian drivers who can't drive anyway.

Doing 90mph down 6 lane SZR then cutting straight across the highway to pull off is the norm for them. Its crazy.

Its funny you mention the cars as well. I originally had a Nissan Murano (which over here is a big motor) but felt exposed in it (because compared to everything else over there its like a Punto) so I bought a H2 Hummer just to feel safe on the roads. Wasn't that slow tbh but it was like a tank :smashin:

Your comment about the cleanliness is surprising as well?? I thought Dubai was one of the biggest dumps i have ever lived in. But then, my parents, sis, and all my friends who have holidayed there all said the same thing.

I think this is down to the fact that you are staying in a hotel which are all pure opulence with staff that bend over backwards to help and are only there as a tourist for a week or two. Everything is done for you and you really only see the best parts of the city, beach fronts, and some of the desert for sand duning, wadi'ing or camping if you take some tours.

Living there opens your eyes to what a complete sh*thole it really is and i don't just mean filthy. I could go on and on and on :thumbsdow

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom