1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"+" and "+" equals "-"??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Perminator, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The last time I posted a thread here I received a lot of good tips and it probably saved me a lot of money, so here I go hoping that someone once again will help me make the right decision :cool:

I was wondering if two products that have received good reviews and are generally considered being good products, could ever be a bad combination?
    I was especially thinking of the Denon 3805 receiver and the Pioneer 575 dvd-player, as I am considering buying these two. Both have received outstanding reviews, and so they must be a good combination, right?

The only thing I could think of, is that the Pio is perhaps in a low price-range compared to the Denon. But then again, I have read that it blows out everything in its price-class, so it will be good enough to match the 3805...or will it? :confused:
    I would be grateful for any advice on this!

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    Very rarely do two good products produce a stinking combination. I have said before though that a proper demo of certain components can produce a combination especially suited to you- even if one of those components isn't an award winner or even a five star unit. The best example I can give is a stereo system I had consisting of Arcam Alpha 7 CD, 7R amp and Rogers DB101's (all then 4 star product) I bought back when RS did demo's. It sounded better to me than the then all award winning combo of Sony CDXP 930, TAFB930 and Mission 771e's.

3. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Christ, I wish I had the money to buy that sort of kit when I was 18!!

I had to make do with Alba!!

DT

4. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I spent all the money from my confirmation (Is that the right word for it?) and have worked quiet a lot. Plus, I still live at my parents house, so that saves me a lot of money :cool:

Still, it's a lot of money to me, and that's why I have to be sure about this. The problem is, here in Norway there aren't any shops who has both the 757 and the 3805, so an auditioning would be difficult unless I brought the gear back home.

If anyone has any experience or views on this combination, I would appreciate to hear them. Also, I have a Tannoy Mx (Mx3, Mx2, Msub, Mcenter) surround set, so if anyone has tried that with the 3805, please feel free to share your views ...

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    8 hours rotating shifts at the Rank Hovis Mill plus overtime :smashin:. I was at a boarding school so the demands on my finances nightlife wise were best described as negligable. Went one better in a University summer break, cleaning and maintaining sewage works- until you've seen a skip full of used sanitary ware, you haven't lived, that's what I say.

EDIT- just realised that wasn't aimed at me :blush:

6. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The 575 should be fine, it punches well above it's weight, don't forget it is a replacement for the acclaimed 565.

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Bloody hell Tons, sounds more like community service than work :D

You too have an impressive haul for a young'un, but seeing as you have worked for RS & MS, I would half expect that!

Perminator, whatever "confirmation" is, I'm moving to Norway and doing it!!

Kit wise, can't really comment on Denon. Haven't ever used one of their a/v amps, but I own 2 pio 565's and can highly, highly recommend them (unless you're planning to use the RGB scart connection, which as many forumers will tell you, can be a bit problematic :rolleyes: )

DT

8. Perminator

Perminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: Dynamic Turtle, a confirmation is kind of a ceremony where you celebrate that you have become "an adult", and you get a lot of money from relatives etc. Don't know the right English word for it, but it's called confirmation in Norwegian.
    Unfortunately, I think you'll find it hard to come over here and do it, but it's always worth a try dressing up in baggy clothes and act like you are fifteen again :D

9. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 575 has the "features" of the 565 it is a cheap player of cheap quality but with alot of features it is good value for money but a DVD1400 would be a closer quality match. The 575 is built to retail at £150 the 565 was built to retail at £250! The build quality was much better, the component quality was much better and therefore the performance was much better. I've tried the 575 and it's performance on progressive scan is so much worse than 565 on interlace so making pal progressive scan a useless feature to compare aswell!

10. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Surprised to hear that, bobby. I thought the 575 was a straight replacement for the 565. DVDP's seem to halve in price every 18 months anyway (Turtle's Law) so I thought the £150 575 would have the same (or even better) build quality/components than the £250 565.

DT