Ancient AE-100 Problem!

B

Burningcoals

Hi All,

I have had this thing for about a year now, got it off a friend.

I am not sure if I ever noticed but I have a green hue covering most of my screen when the projector is turned on but no signal is going to it, not sure if that is normal. Brightness is not up very high.

That is really not my problem though, since when watching movies it seems fine. But I have a strange spot in the lower right side of the screen. When I just turn the projector on it looks dark against the green hue, it kinda wiggles around a bit, and is not a solid spot more a smear or haze. When watching movies the spot area is more like a purple color very faint, but you can tell there is some color to it.

I ordered a new bulb thinking mine had gone out. Replaced the bulb and the spot area is still there. :mad:

Is there anything I can do to cure this? Maybe some dust in the optics somewhere I can blow out?

Or is my projector toast?

Anyone looking for a bran new AE-100 bulb?

Thanks for any info!

Hi and welcome to the forums...

That is really not my problem though, since when watching movies it seems fine. But I have a strange spot in the lower right side of the screen. When I just turn the projector on it looks dark against the green hue, it kinda wiggles around a bit, and is not a solid spot more a smear or haze. When watching movies the spot area is more like a purple color very faint, but you can tell there is some color to it.

That sounds like a dust blob to me - do a search on this forum for dust and you'll come across decent explanations of how to get rid of this with compressed air.

Sean G.

You were right. It was a dust blob! I opened the case and cleaned it out and it seemed to fix that issue.

BUT, since I have been looking closer at the projector I noticed that the green hue is in the middle of the screen and around the edges are more blueish looking.

I think I read this somewhere on the forums I will try and find out what it was and what I may need to fix.

Thanks for the reply.

Shaun

Have you tried using a Hoya filter to get rid of the green hue on the ae-100, might not be this, but you can get it from Jessops for around 25quid, might sort you out..

Bill

In my experience with the panny100 and believe me I've had the PJ stripped down to bits on many occassions, less now though, any how Blue, yellow and purple tinges are caused by the optic mirrors moving. I'll elaborate on how I reached this conclusion.

When carrying out my intial cleaning of the optics within the analyzer block I stupidly removed the three adjustable mirrors for cleaning. Now these mirror are placed at 45 degrees to guide the light into the various lense, polarisors and LCD panels. There is one for red, one for greenand finally Blue. Each mirror allows slight adjustment via the loosening of four small screws on the mirror housing (these can't really be seen untill the circuit board is removed).

Now getting the angle correct on each of the three mirrors is crucial. There does seem to be slight leeway in adjustment. At the worst you'll see yellow,purple and blue banding hues at the edges of the screens if they are all out of wack (believe me I've cocked up in the past and have tried many methods to realign.)

Now I have managed to realign all three mirrors but it's not simple. Eventually I had to loosen those 4 screws (each mirror) I mentioned and prop up the cicuit board whilst still connected switch the PJ on go to the service mode and select the nuetral coloured screen (bluish/white) I then had to realign using a plastic implement to avoid shorting on any of the electrics. Finally I aligned the red mirror, green and blue so there was an even screen on service mode with no purple, blue or yellow edges to be seen. I still instinctively feel that there is an optimum position where no stained edges are seen and the light guided by these three mirrors is at maximum intensity, thus a more vibrant image.

Okay back to the blue tinge. The purple edging staining is due to the Red lcd mirror alignment Blue is due to the green lcd mirror alignment and yellow is caused by the blue LCD mirror.

Right you might ask why the mirrors or in this case the green lcd mirror move if you haven't messed with them whereas I did. Well just recently I was getting no problems whatsoever, I just switched to HTPC and was getting fantastic results (as I've posted many times) Then all of a sudden the dreaded yellow tinge appeared on the top of the screen ,it could have been the fact that with pixel mapping the whole LCD panel was being used any how luckily the blue lcd mirror causing the yellow is the easiest to adjust.

So once again the circuit board off, the blue mirror locking screws loosened enough to allow movement but will allowuing the mirror stay put once aligned. Swutch the PJ on with the case off and the circuit board all connected but slightly propped up to allow access to the blue mirror gentle manipulation with a plastic tool (in this cace an artist plastic paint brush with the metal bristle holding section removed ) Once the mirror is aligned showing no staing at the edges of the service screen power down the pj remove the circuit board being very careful no to move the mirrow retighten gently at first those four locking screws and then reassemble.

If as in your case its a blue tinge that will be caused by the green lcd mirror so it's the procedure just described. Now the red mirror is a pig as it's right under the circiut board when looking from behind the PJ to the right hand side of the main focus throw lense.

I also feel that over time with long extended periods of use and the high temperatures experienced within the PJ that the plastic optics housing may possibly distort thus misaligning one or all very slightly of the three mirrors.

Now I'm not recommending/advising that you attempt this yourself as 1) You could kill yourself poking around under the circuit board and near the exposed electronics and 2) You could damage your PJ. :lesson:

I took my own risks thankfully I've survived and the PJ works beautifully, :no staining, no dust blobs :thumbsup: .
Mind you if anyone out there knows of an accurate way to align these mirrors I'd be grateful. :)

LTJ - does this mean you can fix all our "dreaded purple at the edges" problems???!!

Well if it's the mirror alignment the answers yes. Problem is if it's purple it's then the red lcd mirror and that's a real swine to reach but it can be done.

If the mirror has moved ever so slightly it actually means there is an edge where for example in the case of the blue mirror it shows as yellow due to the shortfall of blue. Or as light blue due to lack of green and finally purple becuase a shortfall of red. These mirror angles can be altered vertically and horizontally so theres plenty of scope for what appears to be staining but is in fact a colour shortfall leaving the remaing two colours to mix , all due to being slightly out of line.
That's why the staining is not clearly defined.
I still believe though that there is an optium for all three mirrors thus all the beams of light that are filtered and split into RGB before they reach the LCD panels and are concentrating precisely on their respective lcd panels. When in this optimum position not only isthe edge staining eradicated but the vibrancy of the image is affected as well. So you can eliminate the staining but all three mirrors could be slightly off and then the PQ drops due to the intensity of the combined RGB light paths being slightly out .

Actually writing this has convinced me totally. Now if red is mixing with just green I believe the end result is yellow hence the yellow staining if the blue is slightly of the LCD lens.
I may be talking tosh but I believe I'm right. I'm open to suggestions.

One more thing if it is the mirrors and for example the Red mirror well the resulting purple will onll be present on one or two edges at the most it can not occur on every edge if that was the case it would be something else.
I remember some time ago when I first experienced a yellow edge staining I thought it may have been one of the three polarisers that are immediatley in front of the lcd panels. These are adjustable as well but they don't seem to affect yellow.blue or purple staining.

You're right the purple is only on 2 edges - bottom right and top left! I've read about others having the problem, and Panasonic saying that its down to heat and the panels warping or something! I'm starting to notice it more, but it is not yet unbearable! I am glad to hear that there's a potential cure!!

Thanks for the info

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom