1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anamorphic

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Clarkey, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a short siple question here.

Using PowerDVD am I seeing the benefits of anamorphic widescreen DVD's? The picture looks pretty good but all the DVD's I have are anamorphic so cant compare to a non anamorphic.

2. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    i think the easiest way to tell would be to see if your images look stretched ie do people look tall and thin or do they look normal ??
    also check out a disc with thx setup at the begining it has an image for checking wether you can display an anamorphic film correctly

jason

3. Clarkey

Clarkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yeah the picture is normal. But u can watch anamorphic on a 4:3 normally. I keep reading that using a widescreen TV you can get up to 33% more resolution etc.. was just wondering if this is the case using a PC in a 4:3 res?

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Ensure that intially your player and display settings result in a tall and thin image on your 4x3 screen. Then use the Vertical sizeadjustment on the monitor to squish the screen vertically until the image is undistorted. then play with differing resolutions to try and ensure the scanlines don't overlap: try 800x600 and work up the way until you get the sharpest ( most pleasing ) image.

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have the Phantom Menace on DVDF, go into the Audio menu, then the THX optimiser, it has a coupld of video tests that show aq circle on the scree, on 4:3 and one anamorphic 16:9. They shoudl both be perfect circles.

Nick