1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anamorphic Widescreen on Panasonic pw7/pw6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Steve_Whelan, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am thinking of getting a Panasonic PW6/PW7, Will DVDs filimed in Anamorphic widescreen apear in true 2.35:1 or will they be vericaly streached to 16/9. I am asking this question as my curent panasonic 32" CRT uses wide mode for anamorphic wide screen and 16:9 to fill the whole screen whichlooks awfull. the pw6/7 only seems the have 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios

2. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't worry. I have the PWD6 and it has a number of aspect ratio settings. The 16:9 mode is a horizontal stretch only and so displays 2.35:1 images in their correct aspect ratio, ie with small black bars at the top and bottom. It also has a zoom mode for non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen images.

You can watch Lord of the Rings in all its glory.

3. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Your 32" CRT shouldn't be doing that. Are you sure you've set your DVD player to output 16:9? It sounds to me like it's still set up to display 4:3, which would have the effect you describe on a 16:9 set.

Si

4. Steve_Whelan

Steve_Whelan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My DVD player is set to wide screen. Correct me if i am wrong but it is my understanding that anamophic 2.35:1 widescreen is realy a 16:1 image that uses special lenses and correctors to produce a 2.35 image on standard 35mm/16:9 film stock. True widescreen uses 70mm/2.35:1 film stock. On my tv the auto mode thinks that anamophic images are 16:9 and verticaly streches them to fill the whole screen and uses the wide mode for true wide screen with bars at top and bottom of screen, very rare true wide screen automatically has the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

5. Andy C

Andy C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anamorphic does not use special lenses, the images are just squashed horizontally into a 4:3 transfer, the TV then stretches them back out to the correct ratio. Anamorphic can be both 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 (almost 16:9). All widescreen TV programming is also broadcast anamorphic.

I have a 32" panny CRT (32PK20) and '16:9' mode certainly does not stretch 2.35:1 movies to fill the screen, they have the top & bottoms as they should. 'Wide' mode and '16:9' should be pretty much identical. The only mode that would cause a 2.35:1 movie to fill the screen is 'Zoom'.

Andy.

6. Diapason

Diapason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Steve,

I think you're getting mixed up between "anamorphic" as it's used to shoot movies and "anamorphic" as it's used to put films on disc.

You're right that a lot of films are shot using anamorphic lenses which, as you say, allows a 2.35:1 image to be shot on standard 35mm. Anamorphic DVDs however, are nothing to do with this.

Simply put, a DVD with any of the widescreen ratios (1.66, 1.85, 2.35 etc.) can be stored on a DVD in such a way that it displays properly when "stretched" to fill a 16:9 screen. So, whether a film is 1.85 or 2.35, shot with anamorphic lenses, super 35 or 70m it doesn't matter -- if the DVD is anamorphic (or "enhanced for 16:9 TVs") it is correct for your TV to display them using the 16:9 mode, assuming that your DVD player is also set to this mode (which it is). So, films with an original aspect ratio of 1.85 will have no bars (or very small bars top an bottom depending on the amount of overscan) and films with original aspect ratio of 2.35 will have bars top and bottom on a standard anamorphic disc. On non-anamorphic discs there will be bars on top, bottom, left and right.

Si