1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anamorphic Squeeze problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by redryder, Aug 26, 2002.

1. redryder

redryder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a new 29" 4:3 Philips TV. My DVD player is set up to output at 16:9 mode, and I tried using the anamorphic squeeze function. However, a white line appears just above the picture (for 1.77:1 movies), sometimes cutting across the upper black bar (for 2.35:1 movies). I got the Philips tech to look at it, and they claim that the white line is unavoidable and is normally placed above the TV picture. In squeeze mode, the entire picture is vertically squashed and thus the white line appears. Is this true, or is he feeding me a pile of cr*p?

Basically, his attitude is that since I have a 4:3 TV I should be configuring my dvd player to output at 4:3 letterbox. He thinks that I am crazy to want to output to 16:9 and then squeeze the picture. So when I asked him, "why the hell did they put this feature in for then?" his reply was that it was an unnecessary feature and that it shouldn't be used.

Basically they refuse to solve the problem, saying that the TV is within spec. If I continue watching DVDs in squeeze mode, will the white line cause burn-in? I would say that 50% of the material that I watch is 4:3 and 50% are 16:9 dvds.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sounds to me like your problem is somewhat similar to that in this thread: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=43852 except with your TV you experience a white line with (presumably) all DVDs. The white line may well be a macrovision strip or a calibration scan line used by the TV. If the geometry of ther TV is properly set up then you shouldn't see it.

As far as outputting anamorphic and using squeeze mode goes only one word comes to mind... why?? You really should set the DVD player to 4:3 letterbox. After all, they will have configured the TV optimally for 4:3 display! ie. the TV is probably well within "spec".

By squeezing the picture on the TV you aren't gaining anything... the mode is there in case you have a source which cannot output 4:3 letterbox.

You may well find that continually watching DVDs in a way that produces this line will give you problems, esp. if your contrast and brightness are set fairly high.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being unhelpful, but despite frequently being full of sh*t, the engineer really does have a fair point on this particular issue. :)

3. redryder

redryder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why shouldn't I watch dvds in 4:3 letterbox mode? The answer is:

Because I lose about 33% of resolution when I do that! The player downconverts the anamorphic signal to fit a 4:3 size.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should be using squeeze mode for the additional resolution IMO. If you can get into the service menu on the TV, you may be able to zoom the picture a bit so that the white line moves off screen. Ideally there would be separate geometric adjustments for regular and squeeze modes, but it sounds like in this case that there are not. Therefore, by adjusting the squeeze mode geometry, this will mean putting up with a little bit extra overscan during viewing of regular (non-anamorphic) material. Thus, as rct says, at the moment the TV is calibrated for 4:3 material as a priority (and rightfully so) but you will need to make your priority 16:9 mode instead.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The resolution will be limited by the fact that you are using only the central two thirds of the screen, any gain in resolution will be negated by the TV being unable to display the increase in detail.

Most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the "squeezed" pic and the letterbox one.

Adding to what Squirel God said, do try and alter the settings in the service menu (writing down all settings first)
    [062596 then i+]

If you aren't able to adjust it satisfactorily and you find that the quality drop when using letterbox mode is too great, you have to decide whether it annoys you enough to return the TV.