Anamorphic Lenses

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by calibos, Jun 20, 2002.

1. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Read the new HCC edition today and in the news section ( I think thats where I saw it) there was a piece about widescreen home movies via camcorder. It said that this was now possible because allthough most if not all camcoders capture in 4:3 that some company is bringing out an anamorphic lense that can be fitted to most camcorders. It would cost about stg£300.

I'm wondering if this could be adapted for PJ use?. Could this be the end for the $2000 Panamorphs and Isco's of this world! I could be way of the mark as I haven't got a degree in Physics or optics:D as this lense works in the opposite direction (ie PJ- anamorphic lense like panamorph would stretch 4:3 coming from PJ to 16:9 on the screen, CamC anamorphic lense would squeeze 16:9 coming into lense to 4:3 for CamC optics...Does that make sense:D ) The question I am asking is a lense like this bi-directional??? If it is then surely it would be an affordable boon for 4:3 PJ owners and even for 16:9 owners wishing to maximise resolution for 2.35:1.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    It will be optically bidirectional. Problems I envisage are:

1) PJ lenses tend to be larger in diameter than camera/camcorder lenses so it probably won't fit.

2) Once fitted, it would have to be removed again for 4x3 signals (including letterboxed non-anamorphic) - unless you can somehow drive the PJ with an external scaler which makes 4x3 signals "anamorphic".

3. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anamorphic lenses for camcorders suffer from horrible light-loss. If you want a cheap anamorphic lens your best bet is to make onee yourself. I'm in the process of making one now, there's a thread on www.avsforum.com about it. It's not very difficult at all!

Here's a german website on how one guy did it:
    http://ww2.bepo.com/jochen/anamorph/

Tor Arne

4. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or check out prismasonic.com. They sell a prism for 600€!