1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anamorphic DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Blackspeech, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

When playing anamorphic dvd's on my Toshiba SD-220 on Toshiba 32ZD26 I still get the black bands at top and bottom. Can expand using format on remote (but don't like the elongation effect).

I thought that anamorphic was supposed to allow the picture to be played without bands and distortion? Incidentally I have the TV set to prog scan.

Does anyone out there know if there is anything I can do about this? Or is my understanding of anamorphic incorect.

Also, recently on SW: AOTC the screen kept switching from Cinema back to Wide though not all the time. Any ideas?

Copy of 'Gamera' on DVD to whoever can solve. Just supply address once informed of win.

Cheers.

2. pinatubo

pinatubo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV widescreen is in 16:9 format ie a ratio of 1.80:1.
    Many films are made in the 2.35:1 ratio which gives you black bands top and bottom in order to show the full width of the picture.
    You can always zoom in if you wish to get rid of them but you will then lose some of the sides of the picture.
    Swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.

Can't explain the second query though.

3. Fillyourboots

Fillyourboots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This site offers an excellent guide to aspect ratios and anamorphic.

http://www.dvdweb.co.uk/information/anamorphic.htm

As for your AOTC-related query, does your widescreen TV have an 'automatic' aspect ratio mode? My Panasonic TV does as you describe when switched to 'auto' mode. It might be related to the 'Progressive Scan' mode you mentioned but I don't have PS equipment so can't be sure.

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,004
    The problem with AOTC could be that your does not automatically switch to the anamorphic mode. And when playing your TV may go into the incorrect mode then if it detects a lot of black above and below the main picture expand it futher to fill the screen. If you select wide in the first place it should lock in this mode until you switch the channel or stop the DVD.

5. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    BTW. 16:9 = 1.77: 1 (some say 1.78:1 as it is actually 1.77 reoccurring).

Most movies are shot in a 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 ratio and most TV's overscan so that 1.85:1 films actually fill the entire 1.77:1 (16:9) TV screen, thus chopping a bit off the top and bottom of the picture. If you can get around the overscan, you see about a 1cm black bar top and bottom on a 32" widescreen set. For a 2.35:1 ratio film the bars are obviously a lot larger, about 10cm top and bottom.

When one goes to the cinema, the sides of the screen move out to accommodate a 235:1 aspect ratio film. At home, as our TV screen is fixed, instead of the sides moving out, the top and bottom move in to achieve the same result. Hope this explains it?

177:1 is now an established film ratio, but no one will shoot in it apart from those shooting films digitally or completely inside a computer (Toy Story 2 etc).

6. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I now understand. Basically the anamorphic signal is recorded on the DVD for use with widescreen TV but not to remove black banding. The image in anamorphic DVD is pre-stretched vertically to fill more of the screen and the TV does the horizontal only. This gives better clarity and keeps the full picture.

I had misunderstood, despite going through the presentation slides show on dvdweb.co.uk before. The penny has dropped. However the TV does have a zoom function so I could try that.

If anyone wants to see how the picture distorts shapes when in cinema mode try LOTR: Fellowship when Gandalf is talking to Bilbo and in the background are two pictures above the fireplace. Change the setting and watch those shapes! Also AOTC when the final battle is on and those big round ships take off and get shot down. Mainly though it's the elongation on hobbits that does it for me -it's too noticeable.

Anyway there has to be a tie-breaker here: Pinatubo and Fillyourboots only - 'In LOTR: Fellowship what gifts where given to Sam and Frodo? First correct post wins. If neither knows then please say so and first correct post wins from anyone else.

Cheers for all replies!!

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    NO, you shouldn't.

If it's anamorphic then the 'Wide' mode is the ONLY mode you need to use.
    I thought you said you 'understand' it now :confused:

Also you only need to use 'Cinema' mode for non-anamorhic letter box material.

8. Fillyourboots

Fillyourboots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need, although I know the answer, 'Gamera' isn't my thing. Thanks for the offer, though.

9. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kevo - thanks,

My understanding 'was' that the DVD in anamorphic should expand to leave no black banding. I realise this wasn't correct and that it's a matter of how the image has been pre-processed on the disc.

I would like to see a full screen without bands and any distortion off the picture in terms of shapes. The zoom function would not correct this as I now know as I tried to see what the effects on the picture would be. Awful.

Thanks

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Often an area of confusion, this.

It IS COMPLETELY true to say that the contents of the video signal coming from an anamorphic disc will always exactly* fill a 16x9 TV screen (unless the DVD player is doing some process on the signal to change it).

However (and this is where the confusion arises) the actual contents of the video signal coming off the disc may contain some plain black areas. This is done in the DVD mastering process as the only satisfactory way of fitting a wider-than-widescreen film into the fixed shape of a TV screen.

If the video signal DOES contain some plain black areas (as in these cases) then it is right and proper that they should appear on your TV. Any attempt to remove or hide them will inevitably result in some distortion or other unwanted side effect.

(* give or take some overscanning)

11. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The zoom function on the Panny S75 (for one) has a mode that removes the black bars from 2.35:1 material. Of course, you lose information from the sides when it's utilised. Not my sort of thing, but I'm sure some people would find it useful.

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yep, I'm sure you're right. Those would be the people who prefer to NOT see all of the movie. But, there you go. There's no accounting for taste.

13. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    These would be the same people that watch widescreen squashed people of 4:3 material:mad:

14. Blackspeech

Blackspeech
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Weirdfish,

Take my wife - she says:

"What difference will a widescreen TV make anyway. What's wrong with the one wev'e got?"

The other chestnut was a comparison between DVD and VHS.

Nigel,

Thanks for the reply.

Peace.