1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue Vs Digital question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Griffin, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Griffin

Griffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know what other forum to put this into, so...

I have an analogue camcorder which is about as basic as you can get (about 8 years old), it's been several tiumes around the world by this stage, between my own travels & loaning it to people. It's been soaked, caught in a sandstorm, dropped, knocked, banged, scraped etc & still works as well as the day I bought it (apart from the date thing which doesn't really bother me anyway).

I'm getting married soon & trying to talk the intended into letting me buy a DVcam instead of hiring someone to do it on the day, & editing it myself through my PC & some software I'd get (undecided as yet)

I'd almost got her to agree to it when she piped up with "Why can't we use the one we've got ?" Damn good question... Why can't we ?

What I need from you guys are the reasons to invest in a DVcam (real reasons) & the answers to the following:

If I use the old analogue (VHSC) camera, can I import the footage into my PC & edit/add soundtrack/add effects there ?

What do I need for this ?

Where do I get it ?

Please help !!!

TNX in advance

2. gmm

gmm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Buy a DV cam, you will not regret it. The quality is so much better. The fact that it is digital from the cam means adding good effects, text etc to the footage will be very easy.

Pinnacle Studio 7 looks very nice(the text and effects features look good).

You will not get anywhere near the same results with your old analogue cam.

3. Griffin

Griffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the answer gmm, Quality aside, is there anything stopping me using the analogue camera ?

How would I hook it into the PC & what type of hardware/software would I use (if possible) ?

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is one of the best reasons to get a DV cam! To get analogue footage into a PC, you need a capture card with analogue inputs, some sort of software or hardware encoder (raw footage is too much data!) - these are not cheap - and then after that the best you can put it on is a SVHS video - without buying a DVD recorder e.t.c.

With a modern DV cam, you can connect using a firewire (1394) card, which are in the region of £40, and transfer the already compressed video and audio digitally to the PC! Not only that, you can transfer the edited bits (minus the honeymoon night footage :D ) back to the DV Cam, digitally as well. You then have a pretty hi-quality master to be used for transfer to video, dvd e.t.c.

In short, if you can DV is the way to go!

5. altruist

altruist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Analog camcorders are much cumbersome to use for editing purposes at home. You would have to invest heavily on capture card etc. Besides the model you have mentioned is a SVHS camcorder and as per the web published reviews, the quality of a movie on a Scale of 10 is 3/4 in SVHS while it is 9.2 on a DV format. So I would strongly suggest you to go for a DV camcorder. Now that the models have been revised at SONY, all the models have megapixel CCDs too.
    Good luck on your decision.:)