1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue video capture and editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by ramlin, Apr 26, 2003.

1. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    I hope I am I am in the right forum..
    I am about to buy a new pc and when the budget allows a digital camcorder (probably a Panasonic DV 30).
    I also have lots of analogue video's which I would like to capture and edit on the new pc and then burn to cd-r or and dvd (when I can afford it).
    Can any one please recommend a simple (and relatively cheap) hardware/software sollution for capturing and editing analogue (and digital) video? I read some bad reviews of video capture and editing hardware/software from Dazzle
    - is there any thing else?
    Thanks,
    Clifford

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    IMHO if your analogue tapes are 8mm/Hi8 then go for a Sony Digital8 camcorder. You will be able to play the analogue tapes in this and edit via firewire at no extra cost.
    If you are talking VHS then do a search on the likes of www.ebuyer.co.uk for Pinnacle. They do several versions of capture cards, some of which do DV & analogue and include Studio 8 which is a highly recommended editing software package.

Mark.

3. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark. No the analogue videos I have are the wedding videos (on VHS) and loads of videos of the family on VHS C tape. I have a very old JVC analogue camcorder (GR-AX27) which I will be replacing soon...
    I'll look out for the pinnacle as recommended.
    Clifford

4. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    If your going to buy a camcorder, then buy a mini DV one that has analogue inputs. YOu can record your analogue tapes onto dv and then capture through the firewire.

5. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Tommy. I intend to buy a a digital camcorder soon around the 600 pounds mark - I heard Panasonic are good. Which would you recommend?
    Clifford

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Sony or Panasonic probably. Sony might have the edge picture wise. But both excellent.

7. ramlin

ramlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just read some good things about the canopus advc-100 for analogue capture - has anyone used that piece of kit for capturing analogue videao from a VCR?
    Clifford

8. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The pinnacle software recommended for analogue sources is the DC10+. I can access a secondhand one including the card with S-video and composite as well as stereo audio in/outputs if you are interested. I haven't used one so can't comment on how good or bad it is.