1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue transfer to SVCD

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by rolyk, Jan 2, 2002.

1. rolyk

rolyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to get my Sony Hi8 tapes onto SVCD for playing on my tv DVD player but am getting very poor results. In fact the end result is a picture resembling a 10th generation tape!

My 950MHz PC is up together with large hard disk and 512Mb ram and I'm using Ulead Video Studio and capturing via an All In Wonder Radeon. I'm using the latest version of Nero with the mpeg2 codec for tranferring to cd.

Is there any way to improve the quality or is this is all that can be expected from an analogue source and SVCD?

Would be most grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think you can improve quality any more.
    Making vcd's is very time consuming and I've given up.
    You wait so long for such bad results. Do you really need it on vcd anyway? Can't you export it to vhs?

3. rolyk

rolyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're certainly right about being time consuming. A 15 min clip took 3 hours to render (and it ended up without any sound!).

I've got it all on SVHS tapes which is fine, but I thought that if I could transfer to CD I could do away with my SVHS recorder and just use Sky+ for time shifting and watch the home movies through the DVD player. Wishful thinking it seems.

If the quality can't be improved I'll just stay with tapes.

4. colinrbarrett

colinrbarrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been archiving material - new (DV) and old (Hi8, VHS, BetacamSP, UmaticSP and more) to DVD and S-VCD lately and whilst the results aren't absolutely perfect, they're certainly better than outputting to S-VHS. I've been using Pinnacle Express and MyDVD to do the compression and write, and the only problem I've encountered is where luminance and chrominance is low, and where there's graininess in the original (eg: on low band material).

I did a quick-turnaround of a bonfire display in November just for a laugh and the results were very good indeed - exceeding my expectations. Render times were quite long - about 25 minutes for a 3.5 minute piece in one case, but it was worth the wait.

DVD and S-VCD quality (at the lower end of the market - unlike the super-expensive professional coding systems) is highly dependent upon the quality of the original, however.

- Colin

5. rolyk

rolyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Colin, Thanks for your reply.

It is, of course, possible that the poor quality is down to me! This is my first attempt at transferring to svcd and I've tried using the VideoStudio encoder to render. VideoStudio came bundled with my All In Wonder card.

When you say you get better results than saving to S-VHS presumably you're referring to saving on tape?

Do you think that the AIW Radeon is good enough to capture or should I be using a better device? Or maybe I should be upgrading my camcorder to digital!!

6. Slipperman

Slipperman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could try the Tmpgenc encoder to encode captured AVIs to MPEG2. It gets good reviews for quality and is efectively free. I think the URL is www.tmpgenc.net

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that the main problem with SVCDs is that most MPEGII encoders available for the PC are fixed bit rate. You only get decent quality with a variable bitrate encoder.

Dunno if that is true or not.

8. johnnyzee

johnnyzee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried to convert analougue to vcd/svcd and i can tell u the results were very dissapointing!!! let me give u some advise ---- if u can afford a DV camcorder GET ONE it will change your life trust me -I have upgraded recently to a Dv camcorder bought a large hard drive and a DV card and the footage i can transfer onto my PC is AWESOME...i have then converted to SVCD(using tmpENC,yes u have to wait but definately definately worth the wait!!!wen u see the quality) results r brilliant hardly any detoriaition(imagine ure home footage in full DV quality,to play back in your dvd/vcd player)....All u need then to do is burn ure mpeg using nero or somet to a cdr(cost u hardly anything much cheaper than vhs and better quality)... a DV camcorder starts from around £599 in the uk for a panasonic ds27b then buy a firewire card for around 30 quid and uve got the rest ......ure away!!! u can then use adobe premiere to add titles wipes filters etc , and make broadcast quality video...hope this helps!!!! let me know mate!!!(have i persuaded u ???lol...ps sorry to ramble on!!!

9. rolyk

rolyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All very interesting. Yes, you've convinced me - it all sounds great and as it happens I've already been looking through the mags and am thinking of getting a Sony TRV30 camcorder to replace my Hi8. It's got an analogue input so am hoping I can transfer some hi band footage to DV - have you tried that?

Just need to convince the wife, particularly as I've just got a new Tosh picture frame tv, as spending another grand probably won't go down too well. Still, it's only money!

I downloaded Premiere Trial a couple of weeks ago and it looks daunting - hopefully it's easier to use than it first appears.

Thanks again for your comments.

10. Gurubarry

Gurubarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys, I have just started burning VCDs using Ulead Media Pro 5.2 as the editing suite, a DC10 (a blast from the past) capture card and the Ulead Video studio 5 suite. I also have capturesd in hi8, editied, then loaded the footage into the Video Studio. I purchased the DVD plug in over the net, and i just set it to convert the footage and have dinner ! It works well, DVD style menus are easy -peasy. I am also using a Sony D8 camera to reformat hi8 to DV and that works also, so keep at it. I can supply the full info about the process if you want it.

don't take life too seriously; you'll never get out Alive.

11. rolyk

rolyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Succumbed to temptation and bought a TRV30 which has made the transfer of Hi8 tapes to SVCD reasonably easy (for a beginner, that is).

For those that may be interested the Hi8 camcorder is connected to the TRV30 via S and audio leads. The video is then captured to disk via the firewire card and Pinnacle Studio 7. After doing the edits I resave the DV AVI file to disk and convert it to SVCD Mpeg2 using TMPGEng before burning with Nero. The results are very good but obviously not up to the same quality as MiniDV sourced material.

I found that converting to Mpeg2 using Studio 7 produced dissapointing results. TMPGEng though slower, is far better with a sharper image.

The TRV30 is somewhat of an expensive analogue capure device but I'm sure it will get good use as a camcorder!!

12. Gurubarry

Gurubarry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I have not used the Nero software, and everyone else who HAS used it complains of the quality. I use the Adaptec suite to burn CDs. BUT , I use the Ulead DVD burner kit you buy over the net. It has its own burning suite, and it is perfection. Try it; you'll like it;)
    I do agree with the views stressing the compatability problems. I heard that the DVD format war is at an end...............perhaps we will get results in the Autumn.
    Barry