1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue to digital using camcorder

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Luke Wilson, May 14, 2002.

1. Luke Wilson

Luke Wilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to edit analogue and digital footage on my PC on a tight budget.

I have considered the analogue to digital converter (Canopus AVDC100) and Pinnacle Studio Deluxe card (see thread below).

However, I also thought that I could use the analogue inputs on my digital camcorder to record my old analogue footage onto DV, thus only having to buy a DV editing card for my PC.

This approach isn't often mentioned as a solution for editing old analogue footage - is the quality worse (analgue - digital conversion?) or are there other problems (time code etc?)
    Any comments welcome, thanks
    Luke

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I do this using my Sony PC9. Quality is great. So if your camcorder has an analogue in, it's the most convenient way of doing it IMO. Although quite common on sony camcorders, it has been an unusual facility on other manufacturers machines.

3. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sounds good to me and to get the best quality/value Firewire Card and editing software get this:-

Firewire Pyro 1394 pci card from http://www.lynxdv.com/estore/.Look at the left hand side and click on DV editing cards.

4. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I'm new to this, but as far as I can tell from the specs, on my Sony TRV25 I'll be able to go analog in->DV out without even recording. So if you just want to capture, you don't have to waste time recording then playing back.