1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue to digital transfer?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by jamiecaturani, Feb 28, 2002.

1. jamiecaturani

jamiecaturani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my friend has just bought a JVC digital camcorder with dv in/out. I have hours of footage on an analogue camcorder ( sony handycam) which i would like to transfer to digital tape so we can edit it via his pc. However his camcorder has no analogue inputs
    so does anyone know how i might be able to transfer it onto digital tape? Answers would be much appreciated.

2. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jamie,

Check out the Canopus ADVC 100 Analogue to Digital converter. This will do the job for you!

see www.datavision.co.uk

Cheers

Mark T

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    I need to do a similar thing. I want to use a bullet cam to record footage whilst out on my bike.

Buying the lens isn't a problem but they all have analogue connections and I only have DV-In on my vid cam :(

I've found this "in-line" module that looks like it could do the trick but it works out at over £300

Might be my only option though. Do you gys reckon it will enable what I'm after?

4. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Desmo,

This device will still be no good to you as far as I can work out. The canopus would still be better as long as you can power it away from the mains! We are working on making a battery system for it right now but it is not ready just yet. Go to www.datavision.co.uk to get my telephone number and give me a call if you want to know more. I have SONY bullet cameras here to so I know exactly what you are trying to do !!

Cheers

Mark T

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    Sounds good. Any ideas as to when the battery run product might be available? Are we talking a month or two? Or nearer the end of the year?

How big, roughly, is this canopus unit? Judging by the size of the sockets it seems to be quite a reasonably small product that should more than easily fit under the seat unit on my bike. If I could run it off the bike battery in the meantime would be good.

Just need to get a bullet camera, plug it all in and away we go :)

6. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I am hoping that with in the next few weeks we will have a battery product for the Canopus unit! Wish you could run it from the bikes battery cos that would be really great!

Size of the unit is 146x7.2x120mm

I am getting samples of the 3 types of bullet cameras that SONY do on the 12th March, so will test them all out and let you know what they are all like!! They come under Accessories so I can never find info on the web of them! They are CVX-V1P, CVX-V3P and the CVX-V18NSP which is the Night Shot version!

:)

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    I've found a site selling various camera's here but not really being into this kind of stuff before I'm not sure on the quality, however a person from another bike forum had ordered one so I'll get some feedback from him.

If the battery running of the canopus works fine then you may well be hearing from me in the near future :)

Otherwise I may look into some converter to run it from the bikes battery, although I'd rather avoid this if at all possible.

8. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    I've just found something on the camera site I listed above.
    It says these cameras need a "DC12V (Tolerence: 8V-15V)" power source, but they also sell battery packs for them that run on normall AA size batteries.

Now, looking at the Canopus site it says it just needs a DC5V power source.
    Would the battery set for the cameras not work with the Canopus unit?
    Just a thought.

Looking at this now it looks like I could get the Canopus and a bullet cam all in for about £400 (not including VAT cos I'll claim that back :) )

9. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It seems the Canopus is fussy when it comes to it's power input so hence why we are working on one at the moment! Will let you know when it is done!

If you know any one else that needs to do this then you can get the SONY bullet camera and one of their Mini DV or Digi-8 decks, which the camera then bolts directly onto. This way you only need one power supply for the deck, which in turn powers the camera!

Trying to get info on these with pictures on our web site soon!

Cheers for now

Mark T

www.datavision.co.uk

10. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    Sounds great in theory but not too great for the wallet :)
    If my camera had analogue in I'd only be spending around £150 getting the bullet cam. If I can get the bullet cam and the new MiniDV cam with analogue in for around £700 then I might, just might, be interested as I could probably sell on my current vid cam to reduce the costs a bit.

And seeing this is only being done for a bit of fun I'd rather it was a cheap option.

11. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,768
    Hey Mark, any feedback on the battery unit yet?
    Got some dough here burning a hole in my pocket :)

I have looked into running the unit from the bike battery but if you are saying it's a bit fussy with it's power supply then this may not be such a good idea.

If it was for normal home use I would have ordered one by now but unless I can use it out on the bike then it's not much good to me.