1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue to digital sound missing one speaker

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Hbilly, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hbilly

Hbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have an old Sanyo Analogue video 8 camcorder. I recently transferred this to DV tape by connecting it to my panasonic nv gs11 camcorder. I then used USB 2.0 to transfer this to my PC. When I play this back on my PC there is only sound coming from 1 speaker.

I connected my cameras via RCA (i think they are RCA). A separate Audio and Video plugs on my Analogue camera to a single av/in/out plug on my panasonic DV camera.

I have an S video port on my dv camera - would this be a better option?
    Would using firewire to transfer from dv to PC give me better results?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I would say the chances are that your old video8 cam is only mono, and therefore will only give sound from 1 speaker. Just copy the audio to the other track in the editing package to get sound from both speakers.

If the video8 cam has an S-Video output then this will be better than a composite (RCA) connection for the picture, but you will still need to connect the RCA for audio as S-Video is picture only.
    Firewire is the only way to get the best quality from a DV cam to the PC. USB is no good for high quality transfer and will look poor compared to firewire.

Mark.

3. Hbilly

Hbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your speedy reply, I will give this a go. Makes sense though
    Thanks again.

4. simon10661066

simon10661066

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I had the same problem - mono Hi8 camcorder source, using S Video out for picture and single phono for sound produced as you write - a recording on only one of the two stero sides. I fixed it by buying a single phono in double out ("Y" type adaptor) then running the two audio cables into my analog captrure device to produce a sound track on both sides left and right. Of course its mono but it "sounds" correct.
    Simon