Analogue to digital convertor??

indus

Distinguished Member
DACs are common place, but is there something that does the opposite for audio?

I want to combine my two systems, and use my Quad to fire the two front speakers via the preouts on my Onkyo 875.

Problem is my Quad only has digital inputs, no analogue.

Is there something that could convert the analogue output from the Onkyo preouts to digital to then feed into the digital inputs of my Quad??

Many thanks

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I suspect that the cheapest, and definitely best sounding, solution in your case is a Quad 99 Pre Amp.

indus

Distinguished Member
I suspect that the cheapest, and definitely best sounding, solution in your case is a Quad 99 Pre Amp.

I was hoping there might be a simpler solution. As you know the CDP2 has a preamp in it (which some say is better than the 99 pre) so I will have 2 preamp!

Is there no other solution?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Adding an ADC is likely to be both more complex and more expensive, as well as sound worse.

The combination of the CDP2 with the 99 Pre is well documented and brings functional enhancements (qv).

indus

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mark, I will look into getting one when funds allow.

This may sound like a hare brained scheme but....

How about if I connect BOTH the Onkyo amp and the Quad amp to my front speakers? When I want to watch a film I switch on thhe Onkyo and it drives ALL the speakers. When I want to listen to music I fire up the Quad.

As long as i am carefull and make sure both amps are never turned on at the same time is there any reason why this should not work?

I'm not to bothered about having the quad fire the front speakers for film

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
This may sound like a hare brained scheme but....
It's not just hare-brained, it's downright silly. Without a switch you risk blowing up your Onkyo and your Quad, and possibly your house. Electricity flows along the path of least resistance (sort of).

Manual switches can be bought for beer money (but can he a little hard to find). An automatic switch is even simpler to use, here's one.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Cant you fit a decent 2x1 Line level switch ahead of the Power amp and toggle between the Onkyo and the Quad CD player?

Joe

indus

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mark, I did say it was hare brained:rotfl: That device looks just the ticket, I'll try and see who stocks it in the UK

Joe, I have no idea what a 2x1 line level switch is. Any chance of a link??:)

sounddog

Do I recall correctly the Quad has a dedicated link between the CD player and the Power amp but also has standard phono connections as well?

If so, can you connect the CD player via the QuadLink (not sure if thats what they call it - but it's a multi-pin D connector I think) and then connect the Onkyo to the phono connections - a rotary switch on the back then switches between the two.

Certainly the Quad 99 power amp I had was like this.

Eloise

indus

Distinguished Member
Do I recall correctly the Quad has a dedicated link between the CD player and the Power amp but also has standard phono connections as well?

If so, can you connect the CD player via the QuadLink (not sure if thats what they call it - but it's a multi-pin D connector I think) and then connect the Onkyo to the phono connections - a rotary switch on the back then switches between the two.

Eloise

Thats a good point. I'll look into that this weekend. Thanks:thumbsup:

indus

Distinguished Member

Eloise

Won't work. The CDP2 has no analogue inputs at all, only digital, so that still doesn't allow me to connect the preouts of the Onkyo to it.

I think the device Mark Yudkin suggested seems the only way to do it

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Sonance are readily available in UK. There are also automatic speaker input switches by Russound and Xantech (Xantech are in UK, but not in CH, so I can't vouch for them).

indus

Distinguished Member
Mark,

I've looked into the Sonance stuff and they describe their speaker selectors as a means to connect 4+ speakers to ONE amplifier. I need to connect 2 speakers to TWO different amplifiers.

Could you please advice?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom