• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Analogue to Digital Conversion quality?

scragend

Standard Member
I have a load of old VHS tapes that I want to put onto DVD. I am tempted by a Canopus ADVC-100 to do the job, but I see that I could get a camcorder for not much more on eBay. (I do not have a camcorder at present.)

Would there be much difference between the capture quality via the Canopus and the quality if I took it through A/D pass through on a camcorder?

The reason for asking is that if I'm spending that kind of money I might as well have the camcorder as well instead of just the convertor, if the quality's OK. My priority is VHS to DVD though.

Also (and I know this will have been asked a million times before), what editing software would you recommend? Do they all support double layer DVD writing these days?

Thanks

vonhosen

Established Member
I use an ADVC-100 & it is a great device, but if I was in your position & if funds are limited, I would get a camcorder with pass through. Make sure it is a camcorder with DV In/Out & true pass through. In other words it doesn't have to convert by writing to DV tape & then from DV tape out to PC. Because if you have to go that route & you have a lot to convert, you will be getting tape head wear. Not all manufacturers/models that do convert allow you to do it on the fly without tape, so do some research if you plan to go that route.

thebrummy_one

Established Member
Make sure it is a camcorder with DV In/Out
Mr Hosen, Is this essential? Surely if he had a cam with AV in DV out, this would do the job required. It's just cams with DV in seem to be in a different price bracket.
Congrats on winning the DVD recorder/vhs combo BTW :thumbsup:

vonhosen

Established Member
thebrummy_one said:
Mr Hosen, Is this essential? Surely if he had a cam with AV in DV out, this would do the job required. It's just cams with DV in seem to be in a different price bracket.
Congrats on winning the DVD recorder/vhs combo BTW :thumbsup:

I was only saying two way conversion because scragend was talking about a two way converter in the ADVC-100. If scragend only wants ability for analogue to digital then no won't be necessary but he/she would only need an ADVC-50 in that case.

Oh & thanks :thumbsup:

scragend

Standard Member
Thanks for your replies.

I do intend mainly on doing analogue to digital, but there could be the odd time when I might want to go the other way.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Canon MV700i or the Samsung VPD230? From what I gather the Canon has pass through, but not sure about the Samsung. Is this right? I've also read that Samsung are not all that great at making camcorders.

Any advice still greatly appreciated

Cheers again

H

hao

To answer your original question the quality of your DVD will be the same as your VHS tapes. I have tried various means, VHS-DV Camera, VHS through camera to PC and they are all about the quality of the VHS.

W

whatdoiknow

I have never heard of a camcorder with AV in and only DV out but there are some camcorders that may only have DV in and not AV in so it is essential that you check that.

H

hao

My Sony DCR-PC120E has AV in and DV out, which means I can connect to a Video Recorder useing a scart/AV converter and to my PC using firewire. The camera acts as a pass through and allows the VHS tapes to copy directly to my hard drive for editing and burning to DVD. The same function can be used to copy old 8mm tapes from an 8mm camera. I could also do the same with TV programms using the VHS recorder before I had a DVDR.

MarkE19

Without exception, if a camcorder has AV-in it will also have DV-in. However a cam with DV-in does not alway have AV-in.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom