1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue tape conversion to DVD

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by slenderdeer, Mar 14, 2003.

1. slenderdeer

slenderdeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I would share my experience of converting analogue Video 8 (camcorder tape) to DVD-R.

Well after experimenting with sampling Video from my Sanyo VM-D66P Video 8 Camcorder via Gainward GS Gforce 4 Ti4200 VIVO card using the supplied software Intervideo Wincoder that came with the card I converted the tape using Mpeg 2 @ 720x576, see below.

[PAL DVD]

MPEG-2 format.
    Capture size : (720 x 576 )
    Video bitrate : 6400 kbit/sec
    Audio bitrate : 224 kbit/sec
    Total bitrate : 6817 kbit/sec
    Total record time : 476 minutes
    File split size : 4063 MBytes.

I split the tape into manageable parts of roughly 15 mins depending on what content was running at the time.

Some of the samples needed cleaning up at the start and end when the content had changed. I achieved thsi with Ulead DVD MovieFactory 2 (you can get it free for trial on ulead web site) Its very easy to use and achived the desired result.

Problem I has was when I burnt the disk it wouldnt play on a dvd player or dvd writer. I checked the dvd iso which I also created and loaded the iso image with Daemon tools but that didnt work either.

Finally I found a patch on Ulead web site even though program has only just come out which fixed the problem and when I created another image and burned thsi time to a dvd -rw disk it played okay. However in the menu the music didnt work which my guess is it doesnt like high sampled mp3 file.

Anyhow I am really pleased with the quality of the output, it obviously depends on the quality of teh orginal sampling of the video card etc, but it isnt far of dvd quality only the occasion pixeliation.

My next project is converting VHS back dvd which teh quality wont be quite as good. Thsi will be done via Gforce 4 VIVO through video recorder from a scart adaptor which can be reversed from video in to video out.

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I have been doing a similar task transferring off my Sony SL-F1UB to DVD

I use a Winfast A280 MyVivo Leadtek Research Inc.

I captured as 720x568 AVI then edited the AVIs using Ulead DVD Movie Factory (to chop off messy bits also have Ulead 5)

Then I compress the AVIs using TMPGENC then burn the MPEGs using Ulead DVD Movie Factory

The on card MPEG encoder is poor, Ulead slightly better, TMPGENC much better:clap:

End results are very good - look better than the originals!

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Oh no Ulead Video Studio SE DVD

No Tom Clancy Game

Must be new then!

4. slenderdeer

slenderdeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried capturing with wincoder as a avi however were noticeable frame drops and quality to be honest wasn't that much better than mpeg2. I tried other programs that Intervervideo do like dvd wincoder but it didn't seem any better. I also tried capturing with adobe premier couldn't get any sound and results were awful and mediastudio.

I been playing with the results all week and in the end the first one seems best for me. Obviously it depends on how fast your machine is, although mine is relatively fast P4 1.8a@2.2 512MB ddr ram, XP pro etc. But at the end of the day the original source and what hardware you use is the most critical thing.

Anyhow I am dead pleased with the results, its certainly better than video quality and I can relax once I done the other 3 tapes and know that if worse comes I got a backup.

I wouldn't want to loose my kids growing up, its priceless as I am sure you all agree.

I recommend Ulead products they are fantastic.

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I found Winfast PVR works well

No dropped frames