1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue or Digital

Discussion in 'TVs' started by chung54, Jul 29, 2002.

1. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, this may seem to be a silly question to some of you guys but here goes...
    I am looking to buy the Sony LS60 but it's an analogue model, I've walked past showrooms where they've had a TV and DVD showing in the window and the clarity and picture was superb, very very true to life.
    Now is this due to the TV being a digital TV(if there is such a thing) or was it just a good set up with decent units, the TV's I've seen the dislays on have been Sony one which is why I was thought they were Wega's which made the difference and why I was after one, until I was told they're all Wega's now by people on this forum.
    What's the score? :confused:
    Cheers

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :confused: Those marketing folks really do know how to confuse people don't they?

Well here goes:

There is no such thing as a purely digital TV on the market today. If a TV has a good picture, it will have a good picture regardless... so what you saw would have been due to the good set-up and equipment.

TVs being sold as "Digital" will have a digital terrestrial (or satellite) decoder built into the set eliminating the need for a separate box.

TVs sold as "digital ready" will have one or more SCART sockets for connecting a Sky Decoder etc.

VVega, is Sony's name for its flat Trinitron tube.

The reason digital TV and sources (like DVD) look so good is because they don't suffer from the interference that analogue signals often do. If a "perfect" analogue signal existed it would look better than any digital signal!

A true digital TV (doesn't exist) would be where no analogue processing or image display is involved; i.e. like a DVI flat panel computer monitor where the computer graphics card is effectively controlling each pixel on the panel individually. All CRT displays are analogue no matter what source was fed to it... the signal needs to be analogue for the CRT to produce a picture!

I hope that this helps and hasn't added to any confusion!;)

3. chung54

chung54
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks rct, I thought that they meant DTv when saying digital tv, I think I've got a decent DVD player (SonyDVPNS300 or 700 multiregion, can't remember it's packed away!) so should be able reproduce quality playback. I'll post some more questions about connectors etc when I've moved and bought the LS60 to connect up to!!