1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue or digital into amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cameronl, Jun 4, 2003.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there all. I have a dv88+ and a yammy 630 amp and need some advice about connections.

At the moment I have the dv88+ connected to the yammy by analogue; however, I've been thinking lately that this may not be the best idea and so - I need some advice please.

I only listen to 6ch stero as my kef 2005's sound (to my ear anyway) much better in 6ch mode than 2 ch. My question is then - would I be better off listening to 6ch in analogue or coaxial?

I'm starting to think optical/coaxial is better because 6ch is a dsp mode and would there fore stay in the digital realm. Is this assumption correct?

If this is correct, would a cheap optical/coaxial cable give better results than my cabletalk analogue cables (at least in theory)?

btw; for interests sake....does an amp need to have analogue bypass in order to use a CD players DAC?

thanks

CaM

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +449
    Yes ... if you are listening in 6ch mode (or any other DSP) then you're best to use a digital connection ... otherwise you have to first convert to digital within the 630.

Path with digital
    CD/DVD -> DSP -> DAC -> Amps/Speakers
    Path with analogue
    CD/DVD -> DAC -> ADC -> DSP -> DAC -> Amps/Speakers

You don't NEED an analogue bypass ... but without one the amp usually does the same as shown for analogue (above) to provide tone controls, etc.

Rememeber we're talking theory here ... best was is to try with both Analogue and Digital connectors. One thing about the Arcam is that (if the software is compatible) the Co-ax is better to use than the Optical as it can provide 24/96 whereas the Optical is limited to 24/48.

Vikki

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks very much for the info ;)

CaM