1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue or Digital connections

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by garyjd, Apr 29, 2005.

1. garyjd

garyjd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, looking for some clarification.

I have an arcam AVR200, currently looking at DVD players and would like some advice on what is best.

Should I be looking for a DVD player that has 5.1 analogue audio outputs or just use digital to connect to AV, what are the advantages/disadvantages of each and their preferred use?

Thanks

Gary

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    As I see it basically it boils down to whether the player or the receiver have the higher quality DACs. Clearly other things like DD/DTS decoding, bass management, convenience of cabling etc. also play a part in the decision.

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Unless you have a £1000 DVD player and £100 AVR it is unusual for the DVD to have better decoders than the AVR and so digital is best.

Saying that there are very few low-mid ranged players on the market that dont have both as standard.

The one thing you may want the analogue connection for is for SACD or DVD-A as these cannot be passed via the standard digital connection.