Analogue import

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by statto, Mar 26, 2006.

1. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm pretty new (ok, very new) to video editing, and have had some success with my Digital camcorder & Pinnacle Studio v9. However, I have an old Panasonic VHSc "Slim Palmcorder" (that's what it says on the side :D ) and I'd like to get my footage from the tapes firstly into my PC and then onto DVD.

I'd like to do this in as easy a way as poss, and have been looking at the DazzleVideo Collector 2006 (PCI card solution) +/- £30 and the Dazzle Movie Compressor 2006 (USB2 solution) +/- £40. Has anyone had any experince of these, and is there a better (but not much more expensive) way?

As an aside, my Panasonic (for which I've long lost the manual) has two output jacks - one yellow and one white), whilst both Dazzle solutions have an s-video input on board. Is it as obvious as getting a S-Video & Stereo Audio Capture Lead from somewhere like Maplins, plugging in and off I go?

Sorry for the dull questions, but I guess that's the beauty of having forums!.

Thanks

Statto

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I occasionally use Pinnacles' excellent MovieBox DV with Studio ( works with LE too) and The Pro breakout box with Liquid : Sadly neither of which is within your budget or I would happly recommend them :thumbsup:

In the past, I have product tested 1 or 2 Dazzle products and found them OK

Have a look at this product and Dazzle here

They Kind of seem interesting and affordable;)

The products need drivers ( on the CD) and a video editing software capable of recognising them as video capture devices ( also usually supplied with the product) So they are easy to use but need to be installed properly ( ie: not just plug and play)

3. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Senu
    I've heard there can be problems transferring sound & vidoe in sync from analogue recorders/tape. What's your experience?

Statto

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Analogue capture devices do often cause the audio & video to go out of sync. Capturing in short sections can often help, as does making sure everything that can be is stopped on the PC from running such as antivirus and power save modes.

What camcorder do you have? This may save you money and hassle as some models have a feature known as AV-in. If your cam does then it can be used to convert the analogue video to digital and then send on to the PC via firewire. If the camcorder is a few years old and does not have AV-in then you might be able to modify the software in it to enable the input.

Mark.

5. statto

statto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark
    I'm pretty sure my camcorder's are only AV out.
    The analogue one is a Panasonic NV-RX18B and the dig is a Sony TRV19E

Statto

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,523
    Yes the TRV-19E is AV-out only and I'm fairly sure the model it too new to be able to have AV-in enabled :(

Mark.