1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue Hi 8 to PC for Archiving

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by slewts, Apr 1, 2003.

1. slewts

slewts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to copy all my old analogue tapes onto DVD, can anyone advise on the most cost effective way of doing this.
    Can I use my Hi 8 tapes in a Digital 8 camcorder and connect to my PC to copy to the hard drive and then burn to DVD or will I need a VideoBus, if so whats the going rate for one of these.
    I will also be buying a Mini DV camcorder shortly and want one that I can carry around in my pocket such as the Canon MV5i or the JVC DVP7.
    Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    A Digital8 camcorder will play back all 8mm/Hi8 tapes.
    If you have a Digital8 camcorder then this will be the cheapest method of getting the video onto your PC assuming you have a firewire port on the PC. If not then a firewire card will only cost a few pounds.
    An external box to convert analogue to DV will cost £200+ and once your tapes have been converted will be an expensive & unused box.

Mark.

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Canon MV5i from what i've read have an Analogue to Digital converter built into that will allow you to convert 8mm tapes direct to digital format.

As you looking at getting a Mini DV recorder, then you could effectively kill to birds with one stone going the Canon route

regards
    Gary

4. DigiStuff

DigiStuff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  5. army

army
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi slewts , having used video 8 & hi 8 since 1987 i have over 90 tapes which i have started copying to cd using the following software & hardware ,Sony Digital 8 TR- 7000E with DV out through firewire/ilink cable/card into PC capturing DV using Videostudio 6. I then convert the DV into mpeg 2 (svcd) video using Procoder which does a great job of encoding. Then i finally use moviefactory 2 for authoring & burning onto cd. of corse you can use all of the above for DVD also, but i find svcd good enough for video 8 & hi8 & i think Procoder does a better job than DVD encoding in a lot of software that i have tried.

6. Paul O

Paul O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi there,

thoughts Id add in my 2pence worth too!!

A few ways which I do this, all achieve good results. The first is the in my opinion the best, the last is the easiest!

1) Sony Dig-8 camcorder. Just accepts 8mm/hi8 and converts to digital and then sends them down the firewire. I use Dvd Workshop by Ulead (demo available for 30 days on their website) to capture and record straight onto DVD.

2) ATI All-In-Wonder card. Plug the camcorder into this, then select "DVD Quality" as the recording mode. Hit play on the cam, and record on the PC and wait. You will need a very high spec PC though to capture at this quality. I'd recommend at least 1.5gig with 512ram. That should do it.

3) Just thought - Buy a Phillips standalone DVD recorder (I got mine for £298 - DVD880 model). Plug the cam into the front sockets and hit record. Doesn't get any easier than that! :) Obviously your editing is pretty limited this way tho'

Hope this helps,

Paul.

7. Tunes Man

Tunes Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul O said just what I was going to suggest which is to buy one of the dvd recorders on the market. I own a Panasonic HS-2, which has regular video inputs, a S-video input and a firewire input, so you wouldn't have a problem being able to download your Hi-8 footage onto a dvd disc, but as he also mentioned, you wouldn't have a lot of editing flexibility.
    Good luck on your decision. Tunes Man.