1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue editing

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by james191182, Oct 18, 2002.

1. james191182

james191182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just about to buy a new PC mainly for video editing from my Sony D8 camcorder. I'm thinking along the lines of Pinnacle studio 7 or ULEAD Video Studio 6. However, i will be wanting to edit old analogue footage (played back on my D8 camcorder). Will the software support analogue tapes played back on a D8 camcorder or will i have to buy a package that supports analogue and digital?

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    You will need Pinnacle DC10+ which includes an analogue capture card and Studio 7. Studio 7 will edit the resulting MJPEG's as well as DV.

A better (although more expensive) solution is to use Studio 7, or better 8, and convert the analogue to DV with an analogue to DV convertor and then edit as normal DV.

The best convertor is Canopus ADVC-100 or ADVC-50 - see:

http://www.canopus-uk.com/index_uk.asp

This will give amzing quality of conversion and avoid audio sync problems that often occur with capture cards. The Canopus is the best of its type by far.

PS

Some Sony Digital8 camcorders will convert analogue to DV and output it from the firewire port. Check the speck - it could save you a lot of money!

3. james191182

james191182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When looking at the pinnacle website i read that studio DC10+ supports only analogue and HI-8 tapes. However, in your reply you mentioned this product could be used for both analogue and D8, is this true or would i have to opt for studio DELUXE.

Also, my camcorder model is SONY DCR-TRV230E. Do you know if this is able to convert analogue to video. It will playback analogue tapes but will it output them through firewire.

4. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Studio 7 (or 8) is software which supports both "analogue" and DV sources. Studio DC10+ is a package (c £125) which contains a capture card and Studio 7. The capture card will only capture analogue, but all you need for DV is a standard Firewire card (IEEE1394 OHCI - £40).

Studio Deluxe will do the same job, but at a higher price.

Im afraid I don't know whether your particular camera will convert into DV. Does the spec not say? If you can't find out, put a standard Firewire card in the PC and if the camera does not convert also add the DC10+ card or better, buy the Canopus convertor.