• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Analogue DVD recorder as temporary replacement for VCR

alunevans

Standard Member
My parents have relied on their trusty VCR to time-shift and record one programme while watching another. Unfortunately, the VCR has given up the ghost and, as their region isn't switching to digital until March 2010, I'm trying to find a basic analogue DVD recorder that will see them through 'til the switchover, when I've suggested they buy a twin-tuner HDD recorder, such as a Humax. Can anyone please suggest any analogue DVD recorders still available? Thanks!:)

Gavtech

Administrator
My parents have relied on their trusty VCR to time-shift and record one programme while watching another. Unfortunately, the VCR has given up the ghost and, as their region isn't switching to digital until March 2010, I'm trying to find a basic analogue DVD recorder that will see them through 'til the switchover, when I've suggested they buy a twin-tuner HDD recorder, such as a Humax. Can anyone please suggest any analogue DVD recorders still available? Thanks!:)

Freeview coverage is already very extensive. Although it will extend further at the changeover point.

Are you quite certain they do not already have potential access to digital transmissions?

[ If you wish to send me their postcode via PM I will check up on it]

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi Alun

Having checked with the postcode you sent me, it does seem that your parents live in one of those unique bits of terrain that, at present, only has Analogue transmissions available.

I agree that a device such as the Humax would be a good solution for the future when digital transmissions finally reach them.

In the meantime, there is no such thing as a 'basic' DVDR really, but of those available which have analogue tuners I would recommend a unit from the Sony range.
These also have the advantage of having digital tuners so would continue to have useful function after the changeover.

Consider the RDR-HXD870 - [ or any Sony models you can find at a good price with those letter prefixes - The different number suffixes just indicate different hard disc sizes. ]

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom