Analogue DVD Recorder Advice Needed!

Fire_Trooper

Standard Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about purchasing a cheap no-frills analogue DVD recorder but im wondering if ill be able to tune it in, so that it can pick up the built in freeview from my LCD. Is this possible or am i asking too much?

Much better is to buy a cheap Freeview box and conect via SCART to an input on the recorder - that way the TV will be independant of what you may want to record.

But, if you don't want to buy a separate STB, and you are happy with recording from your TV's digital signal (which will mean leaving the TV switched on if you want to record Freeview while you are out, and will stop you from watching anything else while the Freeview channel you want to record is playing) then as long as your TV is capable of outputting its digital signal via one or more scarts - and most are - then yes, any DVD recorder will be capable of recording Freeview.

Simply connect a scart cable between the TV and the DVD recorder, select scart as the source (probably AV1), select the correct Freeview channel on the TV, when the programme starts press record, when the programme finishes press stop.

No tuning in is necessary - it's not going to be recording from its analogue tuner when it is recording Freeview.

Wouldn't it simply be better all round just to buy a DVDR that includes a digital tuner? ... then both TV and DVDR can act entirely independently.

I presume you are being attracted by the cheap prices of such devices as they are imminently obsolete?

Wouldn't it simply be better all round just to buy a DVDR that includes a digital tuner? ... then both TV and DVDR can act entirely independently.

I presume you are being attracted by the cheap prices of such devices as they are imminently obsolete?

Yea the cheap price is a factor! It's for my bedroom setup you see. I currently live with my parents at the minute (the cost off living is too high£££ for me to get my own place) so the fact i cant watch another channel while recording isn't soo much off a problem, because i can allways watch the TV in the living room downstairs!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom