1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue > Digital with Canon MV500i - help!!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Saint4320, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought the Canon MV500i and am really pleased with it. However, as a newbie to this I am struggling to understand how I can use it to convert VHS analogue footage into digital format.

My initial understanding was that I can merely hook the cam up to my tv and record the analogue footage onto DV tape in the cam and then simply edit it as I would normal DV footage.

However, it appears that this is not the case as the manual expressly states that a cassette cannot be inserted during the conversion, leading me to believe that the 500i has to merely act as a 'throughbus' to feed signal from my VHS to my PC. My VHS only has Scart connections.

Has anyone any experience of doing this who would be prepared to talk me through it? I suspect I will also need a capture card for my PC as I only currently have Firewire.

Any help would be appreciated - before I go insane!!

Cheers,

Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The 500i will only be a 'throughbus'. You should either have got a dedicated lead with the cam or it will have normal phono and/or S-Video inputs. Connect this lead to a scart converter and plug into the VCR. Set the cam to VCR mode and connect cam to PC (see below).

Firewire is the capture device for your PC. You will need a 6pin to 4pin firewire cable to connect the cam to the PC. Set cam & VCR as above and then start the capture software on the PC (everything should be connected and switched on before you start the software, otherwise the hardware will not be detected).

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Mark.

3. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

Thanks very much for your reply - much appreciated. Forgive my ignorance but then a summary in my own terms (so that it makes sense to me) is as follows:

1. Set the cam up to Analogue conversion mode and using the supplied cable (lead with red white and yellow plugs on!) plug this into the scart converter and this in turn into the back of my vcr.

2. Then use the DV output socket on my cam plug the Firewire cable into the Firewire port in the back of my pc, start the VHS playing and use Studio 7 to capture the video in the normal way.

Is this a correct summation of the process? Presumably studio 7 will treat the cam as the capture source and not the VCR?

Thanks again for your help. I am still finding all this a bit baffling!!

Cheers,

Paul.

4. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the MV530i and I'm trying the same thing with limited success. Using the set-up mentioned in the last post works - providing you have output sockets on your tv/vcr etc. I tried this using my tv headphones socket and managed to record sound to my camera and also directly to the pc. I tried it too from my dvd player but because I only have protected dvds I only managed to record a second or so - but it proved the concept. My problem, I think, is that my vcr only has the one scart socket (which I suspect is input only) I'm trying to find someone with a vcr with 2 sockets and hopefully one will output to the camera. The local branch of curries suggested a scart lead with a swith on it for £16 but I'm not sure if that would work?

5. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    in my last post there, typo: swith = switch. ie a scart lead with a switch on it. I should make it clear too, that I managed to record audio and video from the dvd player.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes. The summary is correct. Just make sure the scart lead is plugged into a scart output (or in & out) and not just an input (to VCR).
    Yes, Studio 7 will only see the camcorder, not the VCR. The VCR will not be detected by Windows/Studio7 but will be detected by the cam.

I would think that the scart would be output, but check the manual to see or look for a symbol by the connecter with an arrow pointing into a box (input only) or out (output only).

Now theres a surprise, Curries trying to sell you something you don't need :D The cable supplied with the cam will be what is required. After all, if it came with the cam the manufacturer should know what will work.

Mark.

7. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my vcr's scart doesn't say if it's in or out - it just says 'tv'. But I also tried recording from my tv to the camera - no success - and it's a new samsung flat/wide screen tv with 2 scarts which both have the in/out symbol and one of them is rgb. I'm ain't givin up tho!

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    If the scart is labeled TV then it is an output to feed into your TV.

If at first you don't succeed.........

RTFM :D

or posting a question here might help!

9. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I did RTFM and it makes all sort of wild claims about being able to record from one vcr to another and also record sound from the vcr to a hifi - I tried the latter and it doesn't work! It's a bog-standard matsui vx 1106 el cheep job. I thought I'd be able to record off the gogglebox tho...

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    To record sound on a HiFi you should have 2 phono connectors (if it is a nicam VHS). These should be used for audio only connections.
    Without knowing your VCR it is impossible to say what is wrong. :confused:
    As you said you managed to get a short recording from your DVD, so you know the cam and your procedure is ok. Go round to all your friends and unplug their VCR's to see if they have 2 scarts. :D If they do and you are still speaking to each other after dismantling their AV system then borrow the VCR and see if that works.
    As for recoding from the TV. I would have thought that the scarts on a TV would be input only and therefore they would not send a signal to the cam. The scarts might have loop through, if an input is sent to one scart it will output it on the other but will not output the TV channels. Yet again I do not know your TV and therefore this is only a guess.

Mark.

11. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for your help. My tv is a samsung plano. If I do manage to get a vcr I can record from then I'll be able to record from the tv to vcr to camera to pc (then presumably ET can phone home). I'm off to visit various impoverished relatives with a clutch of cables but I expect their vcrs' are even older and grottier than mine!

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    erm.... 1 word

matsui :D

13. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the advice given so far and made sure I have a connector that allows the signal to be output from my VCR.

Here's what I have done so far, step by step so you can get a feel for where I am maybe going wrong:

My VCR (a Sony SLV-SE220 for info) was disconnected from the TV and plugged in on its oiwn next to my Ps. I plugged the Scart - phono lead from Maplins into the Scart socket in the back of my VCR and set the Scart switch to 'out'.

The plugs at the other end of this lead were then plugged into the double female ended converters, and the original 3 > 1 lead which came with the camcorder was plugged into the corresponding sockets at the other side of the connectors. The other end of this lead was now plugged into the yellow AV socket in my camcorder, and thein the Firewire lead into the DV out socket, with the other end into the Firewire card on my pc.

Whilst in VCR mode I enabled the AV - DV converter on the camcorder, which was left switched on, and then opened up Pinnacle Studio 7 to capture the footage. Started the VCR to 'Play' and hey presto.........absolutely nothing at all...... I am getting black pictures on the capture screens on Studio 7 and also the Camcorder LCD.

Before throwing it out of the window I tried the other Scart at the back of my VCR with the same result. I have also checked that the colours on the leads/plugs correspond in the right way and are connected in sequence - they are.

The camera has been left in VCR mode during the operation as well and was switched on, powered through the supplied mains adaptor.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Paul.

14. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't managed to find a vcr with 2 scart sockets yet but that's the set-up I would have used. I'm wondering if it's a pal/ntsc issue? I see your vcr has both outputs - perhaps you can swap between them and see if one works? Dunno how you would do that tho.
    You should also be able to record from the vcr to the camera by leaving a tape in it and setting the av/dv converter to 'off'. That would cut out any incompatibilities with your computer software.
    Do let us know if you have any success.

15. Saint4320

Saint4320

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Success at last!!

At the end of the day the motto that you should try the simple things first works!!

Firstly the Scart connector block supplied with the Canon MV500i will NOT work for this purpose (or, at least mine won't). Apparently it is a one way adaptor and will not allow signals to pass from the VCR.

Answer for me was to get myself along to Maplin Electronics and bought a Scart - Phono lead (with in/out switch) and 3 phono to phono adaptors. Place the Scart in the back of your VCR and set the switch to 'IN'. This seems strange as the signal is coming from your VCR but it works - the 'OUT' setting doesn't. Attach the 3 coloured plugs into the phono to phono adaptors and then the original 3 >1 lead supplied with the cam in the other end of them, making sure the colours corrrespond, then the other end in the Analogue in socket of the camcorder.

Making sure there is no cassette in the camera set it to VCR then menu and enable the AV>DV converter. Plug one end of your Firewire connection into the DV Out on the cam and then the other into your PC.

A tip is to fire up your editing software BEFORE you power up your hardware as it helps to initialise it. Also make sure that the software settings are set to use your camera as the capture device, especially if you have something like a webcam, as I have. By the way I use either Studio 7 or MGI Videowave 5.

Power on your hardware and start your VCR rolling and start capturing the video.

After much ado it has worked for me and I now have my first VCR on VCD!!

Thanks to everyone who replied - in return I hope the above is a useful reference.

Cheers

Paul.

16. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Saint4320 - glad you go it all sorted :)

rikmoncur - Hopefully your VCR will be ok if you get the new lead.

This does make sense if you think about it.
    The switch is on the scart plug and therefore the signal direction relates to the scart, not the VCR or whatever it is plugged into. The signal is coming OUT of the VCR and IN to the scart plug!
    Well now that I think about it this also makes sense. If the scart plug has no switch and only 3 phonos then it must be only one way. Most people would be more likely to want to copy from their cam to their VCR and so that is the lead that is supplied.

Considering the amount we pay for these camcorders you would have thought that they could supply a bidirectional lead. :rolleyes: And as you have said, they even explain how to use the cam to convert analogue to DV. :rolleyes: :mad:

Mark.

17. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE: "a Scart - Phono lead (with in/out switch) and 3 phono to phono adaptors."

I'm gonna scoot along to curries as soon as they're open and buy something but I'm not sure exactly what. I'm not clear on what the phono to phono adapter is. Isn't there just a scart adapter that'll plug into the vcr and the lead supplied with the camera - a sooped up version of the toothless thing supplied by canon? Curries were trying to sell me a scart lead for £16 but looking at some websites, it seems that an adapter should only cost about £3. Any advice here? And many congratulations to all concerned on fixing an obscure problem!

18. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Yahoo!! It works! I did as I said - got a sooped up scart adapter - it's a jvc "switch scart plug to 3 phono jacks and s-video jack adapter" cost £11.00 from curries. Using the switch set to 'output' and using the camera as an av/dv convertor, I can record from the vcr to the pc. I can't, however, record straight from the vcr to the camera, with a tape in, as it'll record a few seconds then flash up the message 'check the cassette - blank tape' or some such, then stop. I wonder if I record onto a tape that's not blank it'll work? After all, it's an 'av insert' function. I'll try that later and let you know. Once again, BIG THANX for solving this problem. Warm glows all round!

19. rikmoncur

rikmoncur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Success Again! Recorded from tv/vcr onto tape in the camera using (as it said in the instructions!) the record button on the remote - and not using the av insert - and with the av/dv convertor switched off. The av insert function will record from the tv/vcr to the camera tape if it's a pre-recorded tape. Pfew!