1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

analogue capture device

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stevetiler, Jul 9, 2005.

1. stevetiler

stevetiler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could anyone please recommend a good medium priced analogue capture device?I want to transfer old vhs tapes to dvd.I would like a device thats not tied to any specific software as I like to use windows movie maker and Nero to make dvd's.Your thoughts would be appreciated!Thanks

Steve

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    It all depends on your definition of 'medium priced'.
    Without a doubt the best converters are the Canopus ADVC units, but these retail for around £150+ depending on which model you want.
    The only other method that I would really recommend is a camcorder that has the AV-in enabled. This is a cheap route if buying a camcorder anyway, but expensive just for the conversion facility.

AFAIK either of the above the converters will work with any software to create a DVD.

There are loads of USB2.0 devices that will convert an analogue video plus audio signal to digital for capture by the PC, but in my opinion they offer fairly low quality conversion and often cause lips sync errors that can be difficault to repair. These units only cost around £30, so may be good enough for what you want to do. However I have no working knowledge of them and therefore don't know if they need use their own software.

Mark.