• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Analogue audio broken on Sky+HD box??! Help!

MattBGB

Standard Member
Hello!

I have a strange problem with my Amstrad Sky+HD box which seems to have happened fairly recently. The box is about 8 years old and has the latest software.

Model number: R010.070.91.00P
Version number: 4F3006

Basically, I have the Sky+HD box in the lounge which is connected to the large TV via HDMI (through an amp) with no problems.

I also had the aerial plugged in to the Sky box with two RF outputs - one going to a TV in the bedroom (via the 'Return' socket on the wall) and the other going directly to a TV in the study, with infrared remote senders in both those rooms to control the Sky box in the lounge.

Until recently, this setup has worked fine but then I started to notice sound glitches on the audio going to the 2 smaller TVs via the RF/coaxial from the Sky box, which has got steadily worse, to the point that now there's either just a sort of wooshing sound, almost no audio at all, or Dalek-like distortions.

I have tried everything I can think of, including going in to the hidden Services-001 menu on the Sky box and changing the RF channel to variously different numbers, and retuning the TV's accordingly, but to no avail.

I also thought it must be a problem with the RF output from the Sky box, so I bought a Mercury SCART-to-RF modulator, connected to the Sky box by SCART and the two other TVs by the RF outputs on that.

That seemed to fix it, and all was working perfectly, I thought, but I got back from a week away last night and discovered the sound problem with this setup too!

Today, I've tried all sorts of other things too, such as trying to connect the SKY box to a TV via the composite audio ports, which yields the same results, as well as connecting the Sky box to a DVD player via SCART-to-SCART and then seeing what the audio is like through that on the main TV, but again, the sound is either virtually non-existent or heavily distorted!

So, I think I've ruled out a few things, ie, that it's nothing to do with the various TVs I'm connecting to, or the cables or any adapters etc, as it's the same result no matter how I connect anything up to it in an analogue way.

The optical audio and HDMI and everything to the main TV is fine - it's just the peripheral TVs through analogue connections which have the audio problems, although the picture is fine.

Freeview channels are also fine on the other TVs.

I don't want to call Sky because I know it will be an infuriating long conversation with a foreign call centre somewhere, where someone will relentlessly try to tell me how to tune my TV in and won't understand the problem at all!

I've looked at various forums, but cannot see anything about this.

Is it possible that the whole analogue-audio modulator in the Sky+ HD box is broken?

One other thing was that turning the Sky box off for a few mins, then on again, would restore the analogue sound, for a while, but then it would gradually deteriorate again and eventually settle on being inaudible as described above, so it does seem to be a fault with the Sky box itself.

Any thoughts on what this could be and whether it's fixable?

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

JayCee

Distinguished Member
If a mains power reboot gets it working then it deteriorates again after a short time it does point to a fault in the box.
If you're a Sky subscriber just phone them and report it and you'll probably get sent a replacement for a self-install.

logiciel

At eight years your machine is roughly at three times its use by date.
A simple email to Sky should get you a new one.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Push for what you want. FYI a visit to install a refurb box with 3 months 'warranty' plus any work required on cabling and dish is approx £60 (with no offers/discounts).

logiciel

Yes, my recommendation is not to phone but to e-mail, to forget the 214, and to get what you want, which could be indeed be for free as care plans make no difference.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
The OP has stated "we don't have a care plan or anything"
That to me suggests he doesn't have a Sky subscription either hence Sky's offer to send a replacement box for £214.

logiciel

Without a subscription it would have been 299!
With one it can be zero.

MattBGB

Standard Member
Ok, thanks guys. Will give them a call (or email them) tomorrow.

I suppose there's no easy way of transferring all my recordings from the old box to a potential new box though is there...!

logiciel

Forget the 214 - it was a figure pulled from the air by one agent.

Whether transferring recordings is easy or not depends on the user!

MattBGB

Standard Member
Thanks logiciel. The chap at Sky initially said that I could probably get a free replacement box if I upgraded to the 'Family' package but then checked and told me this offer had ended!

Then he went away for a few mins and came back to tell me a new box would be £214 but I didn't ask if that was a 2TB or what it was.

I've seen this refurbed box on Ebay with a 2TB drive installed, which, I have to say, looks great AND apparently has a 5 year warranty, as well as lots of very positive feedback from other buyers:

2TB SKY + HD BOX SATELLITE RECEIVER AMSTRAD PLUS DRX890 ☆☆ MASSIVE 2TB UPGRADE☆☆

Does this look legit or too good to be true?

Are there any pitfalls in buying a second hand box, ie, with previous registrations or the like?

As for transferring content from old box to new, I have done this before when I replaced the original HDD in my current Sky box with a 1TB one, so I know how to do it like that, but I was wondering of there's a better or more direct way of doing it - especially one that doesn't involve screwdrivers and voiding any warranties, but I guess there isn't.

Thanks

M

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
I've seen this refurbed box on Ebay with a 2TB drive installed, which, I have to say, looks great AND apparently has a 5 year warranty, as well as lots of very positive feedback from other buyers:

2TB SKY + HD BOX SATELLITE RECEIVER AMSTRAD PLUS DRX890 ☆☆ MASSIVE 2TB UPGRADE☆☆

Does this look legit or too good to be true?
Nowhere does it say refurbed - merely second user upgraded. If they are Amstrad branded DRX890s they are at least 2 years old and probably 3 or 4 - They rebranded to Sky. 5 years seems to be an over optimistic guarantee for something already 2 to 4 years old

Are there any pitfalls in buying a second hand box, ie, with previous registrations or the like?
No

Last edited:

logiciel

No trouble of that kind, but better to try different agents until you get an offer of a free or as near to free as you want new replacement.
They're not really fixed "offers" but whatever the particular agent can do at the time.

brewerdave

Standard Member
..or just cancel -then in the negotiations for renewal throw in the need for a new box -I got one for nowt recently when I did a new 12 month deal !!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom