• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Analogue audio as well as digital?

Cy Berman

Standard Member
My new Panasonic UB820 has an annoying feature. If I wish to hear the soundtrack on the TV, via HDMI, I have to disable the analogue audio output in the set up menu. If I wish to listen, through the power amp, via phono, I must enable it again. A tedious business. Is there any way round this, short of of buying an AV receiver with HDMI inputs?
My old Sony had live phono outputs at the same time as a live HDMI output. This was sometimes annoying but easily corrected by muting the volume on either amp or TV.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Try optical out on the player (If it has it) and likewise optical in on your amp.
Failing that there are convertors which you feed the HDMI into pass it through to the TV and strip the audio and output stereo to your amp.

Cy Berman

Standard Member
Try optical out on the player (If it has it) and likewise optical in on your amp.
Failing that there are convertors which you feed the HDMI into pass it through to the TV and strip the audio and output stereo to your amp.
The UB820 does have optical, unfortunately my amplifier doesn't.
Is this a "feature" of many new players? I can understand that the UB820 is processing to 7.1 and stereo is a downmix so maybe it is more complex with this model. Are there other players that do provide a stereo analogue output without compromising the HDMI signal. It is stuff like this that you are not told in the specifications, when you are trying to choose a piece of equipment online.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom