1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue Aerial

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dolph, Mar 10, 2003.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I need help - I currently only have a bog standard aerial as my main input for my Sony TV.

The problem is that on the left hand side of the screen there is a bar about 2.5 inches wide that is slightly lighter than the rest of the screen. (This may be the case, or just thinking about it it could just be a thin dark bar about 2.5 inches in that creates the optical effect of what I just mentioned) Also bright logos on screen appear to blur slightly to the right.

Is this an aerial signal problem (and if so how can I fix it), or something else. I've not noticed any problems when watching DVD's.

I know that the obvious solution would be to get a digital input (freeview / sky) but having just moved into a new home don't want to commit to the £40 a month subscription and can't really be bothered with freeview anyway.

HELP!!?!?

2. topmba

topmba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tune the telly to a VCR channel via RF.

If the problem remains when playing a tape it is the internal TV tuner. If not it is the aerial.

Also check your post code in the freeview postcode coverage. If not listed it means you are in a week signal area.

Check if the signal is split, like one aerial feeding more than one telly. This could drain the signal.

I have two aerials : 1- kitchen, 2-lounge. In both I have freeview receivers.

3. jim.rae

jim.rae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It would only be an aerial problem if it was "ghosting" - or a double image caused by local reception conditions.

The advice to feed from a VCR (with a pre recorded tape in case you have recorded the problem!)or other video source is correct -is theline still there?

If it is, then it's not the aerial and you need to start looking at other matters.

4. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The bar down the left is a classic ghosting symptom. Due to the signal bouncing off trees or buildings nearby so it arrives at the aerial at different times causing multiple images to the right of the true image and a bar down the left hand side of the picture. A higher mast and a larger aerial should help.

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thought that might be the case - unfortunately as I'm on a newish estate there are rules in the contract about aerials on roofs - i.e. they aren't allowed - everybodys aerials are actually inside the roof in the loft - gutted

Would an aerial amp help? Can't quite figure this out because surely if the aerial signal has a problem the amp would just amplify it?:confused:

6. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    In that case, the ghosting comes from the signal being reflected around the inside of the roof. An amplifier would just amplify the bad signal making it worse.

First thing to do is move the aerial round the loft to see if you can find a better spot. You could use a short piece of aerial lead attached to a portable TV in the loft so you can see the results instantly as you move the aerial around.

If that doesn't work you can try two things:

1. A larger aerial may help. One with X shaped elements down the boom. Such as this: http://www.antiference.co.uk/extra.htm bought from here: http://www.scantec.org.uk/www/Cats.asp?mc_id=2 . Dirrerent transmitters need different aerials so you need to know which transmitter you pointing at before you buy. The wrong aerial will give poor results. Aerials are either group A, B, C/D, E or W. W is suitable for all transmitters but gives poorer results compared to a grouped one. A larger aerial however may not give better results though if you are constrained to the loft. Trial and error...

2. You can try another transmitter. You may possibly have less ghosting from a different direction. However you are likely to need a new aerial since again different aerials for different transmitters. Move your current aerial around to give you an idea of whats avaliable in your area. If you find another transmitter you will need to know its name to choose an aerial. Which town are you in?

Good luck!