1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog to Digital Conversion Fails

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by frankatlarge, Jan 24, 2005.

1. frankatlarge

frankatlarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm trying to help a friend convert some old VHS tapes to DVD. We're using a VHS player plugged into a Canon Pal MV550i camera which has an A-D mode, connected by Firewire (4 pin to 4 pin) to a Dell Dimension 8600 laptop.

I can capture about 2 seconds (or less) of footage before the a-d process in the camera fails. I'm getting footage from the VHS player displayed on the LCD camcorder screen, until I start a capture program (both Roxio Easy Creator and Windows Movie Editor) - this seems to cause the conversion process to crash?

Anybody got any thoughts???

Thanks

Frank

2. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just a thought.

Invariably, when you start the capture process, the program will start the play function on the camcorder as it is assuming that you want to capture from a tape on the device. Obviously, in this case, you don't want this to happen. There should be a function within these programs that turns off the tape control. Also, you need to make sure that the camcorder doesn't go into standbye mode whilst the VHS is playing.

If you still have problems, it might be easier to just record directly onto a camcorder tape, and then capture the footage from there, onto the PC.

Hope this helps.

3. frankatlarge

frankatlarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

This sounds logical - I will give it a try on Thursday when I go back to my friends.

I can always record from VHS to DV tape and then do the capture. Excuse my ignorance, but is it correct to say that this won't cause any extra picture degeneration because the transfer from DV tape to computer is digital?

Frank

4. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes you're correct. Once you've captured onto DV Tape, the transfer to computer will be lossless.

5. TonyM19

TonyM19
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do DV tapes 'wear out'? Is there a reasonable number of times that you could expect to be able to use a DV tape to transfer analogue to digital?

6. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I don't know if the cannon is the same as my Sony but, I had to turn the 'AV in DV out' function on, on the camera before I could capture using the cam as a 'convertor'. it then happily captured the video.
    Another thing that comes to mind, are you trying to capture pre-recorded VHS tapes? if so, there may be some involvement of macrovision. This, I believe is a form of copywrite protection.

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, DV tapes are in contact wth the heads of the cam and therefore will wear out & get dirty and transfer that dirt onto the heads.
    At only £2.60 for a Sony Excellence DV tape I see no reason to ever reuse a DV tape. I keep all my origional footage and even copy the full edit back to a new DV tape once finished, in case I need to make further copies in the future.
    If you do want to reuse the DV tapes then I would say no more than 6 times, and I wouldn't even recommend that many. But the choice is yours.

Mark.

8. frankatlarge

frankatlarge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes,

There are settings that you need to turn on the camera to do the a-d conversion, however I'm pretty sure we had them all correct.

The tapes where originals recorded on a VHS camera, so I'm hoping macro-vision isn't an issue.

Thanks