1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog onto PC - best VHS source ?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gedo, Jan 9, 2003.

1. gedo

gedo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to be transferring some VHS material onto DVD with some minor editing in-between.

I will be using a Matrox RT2500 to capture the analog input but want to use the best possible source to do this. Most of the material is on std VHS tape and the RT2500 has composite and S-Video inputs.

Would it help to use an S-VHS video desk to play the source material as it would allow me to use S-Video input/output on both machines ?

I don't have an S-VHS desk at the moment and would have to source one so what I'm really asking is whether any potential picture/quality improvements would justify the expense of buying a new VCR ?

My existing VCR is a fairly recent (and quite under-used since I got TIVO) and produces quite a good picture.

Thanks

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I'd say its unlikely but you never know. It depends where the better comb filter is. My JVC 9600 ( forget exact model never use it) has a TBC and a few extra bits and bobs that gives a better stab at bog VHS than most but i doubt its worth the hassle of obtaining one.

Analogue capture is often very noisy : one better possibillity is to copy the vhs to DV using a suitable camera and pul it in via firewire .