Analog in - HDMI out possible?

sbr287

Standard Member
First, apologies if this question is answered elsewhere - I looked but could not find anything that appeared to be relevant.

I have recently acquired a Sanyo projector - very pleased with it so far. I wish to minimize the number of cables going to it - mainly for aesthetic concerns. Clearly one must be power; I was wondering if everything else can come along an HDMI cable from an (as yet unpurchased) A/V receiver? i.e. if I buy a receiver that has multiple HDMI inputs and component video inputs and composite video inputs, is it possible/probable that the receiver can take any arbitrary input and send it down the HDMI cable?

The issue is that an old VHS player I need to use - it's PAL/NTSC - has only composite video out. Also, many receivers seem to have a maximum of 3 HDMI Inputs - this is probably insufficient for my potential needs. For example, I envisage that some time soon I might wish to use at least 4 of the following items - all of which could have HDMI output
1) AppleTv
2) computer
3) Bluray player
4) regular DVD player - need it because it is region free
5) Roku box - or similar
6) cable tv or satellite - haven't got one yet - but it's not impossible
7) DVD recorder (unlikely - better to use Eyetv on the computer)
8) game machine - haven't got one yet - but it's not impossible.

So, if number of HDMI inputs to the receiver is limited, I would have to use the component video input. Then, would the receiver be able to output that component video signal along the HDMI cable, or would I need to run component video cable to the projector if the receiver were taking an input from a component video source? Can a receiver typically take a composite video signal and output through HDMI cable?

Is the answer dependent on the model of receiver, if so, how do I identify from the specifications the wording that tells me that the component video inputs (that I understand are analog) can be sent out over the HDMI/digital output?

tia

SB

dwhite

Your looking for upconversion (or video conversion). A lot of AV Receivers do this now, cheapest current model is the Denon 1610 (~£350).

Do you have a budget in mind?

sbr287

Standard Member
Thanks.

The budget I have (had) in mind was less than that. I'm in the states, so prices might be a bit lower but it seems as though I'll have to consider what I am prepared to pay to avoid the extra set of wires!

sbr287

Standard Member
On a related note - will upconverting receivers (such as the Denon AVR-1610 or Yamaha v465) typically give out a signal on the composite video line as well as the HDMI channels. For example, I'm thinking perhaps I could put the all AV equipment in a cupboard/room behind the projector along with an old tv to use as a monitor? Would such a receiver send out an analog video signal irrespective of the source?

dante01

Distinguished Member
On a related note - will upconverting receivers (such as the Denon AVR-1610 or Yamaha v465) typically give out a signal on the composite video line as well as the HDMI channels. For example, I'm thinking perhaps I could put the all AV equipment in a cupboard/room behind the projector along with an old tv to use as a monitor? Would such a receiver send out an analog video signal irrespective of the source?
The Yamaha RXV465 has no upconversion or upscaling abilities. You can still output the analogue signals, but not at the same time as the upconverted digital and you'll still need the aditional connections between the AV amp and the display for when you wish to use them. Changing the output method will not be hot switchable and will require you to change the AV amps settings and configurations for the source component.

Last edited:

dwhite

An amp with upconversion will send both the original signal (composite, svideo, component) out of the same output as well as upconverting to HDMI (they sometimes also upconvert to component). They will not downconvert a HDMI input to any other output.

So a composite input will be available on the composite output, the HDMI output and possibly the component output simultaneously.

A HDMI input will only be available on the HDMI output.

dwhite

The Yamaha RXV465 has no upconversion or upscaling abilities. You can still output the analogue signals, but not at the same time as the upconverted digital and you'll still need the aditional connections between the AV amp and the display for when you wish to use them. Changing the output method will not be hot switchable and will require you to change the AV amps settings and configurations for the source component.
Dante01, I've explained this to you before but that's not true (statement in bold), the analog output is available at the same time as the upconverted digital output.

dante01

Distinguished Member
An amp with upconversion will send both the original signal (composite, svideo, component) out of the same output as well as upconverting to HDMI (they sometimes also upconvert to component). They will not downconvert a HDMI input to any other output.

So a composite input will be available on the composite output, the HDMI output and possibly the component output simultaneously.

A HDMI input will only be available on the HDMI output.
Are you sure about this? I'm under the impression that if you configure the analogue input to be upconvered then the amp treats it as though it were a digital signal and therefore cannot still simultaneously output it as analogue?

dwhite

Yes I'm certain, there is no reason to stop the analog output, thats just a simple passthru of the signal so no processing is done.

I have confirmed it works on onkyo's, denon's and yamaha's, I can't see why it wouldn't work on pioneer and sony's or any other make with upconversion.

I personally used this feature to send a component output to my PJ while sending a HDMI output to my TV, when all my devices were connected via component (Damn SkyHD box broke and lost the component connection and now probably gonna get a bluray, so I'm gonna need a HDMI splitter).

Last edited:
Skimming the list of the OP's input intentions and upconversion aside I wonder if the criteria is more, how many selectable inputs does a Receiver have?

Apart from the front inputs my own Receiver is maxed out and my source list isn't that long.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes I'm certain, there is no reason to stop the analog output, thats just a simple passthru of the signal so no processing is done.

I have confirmed it works on onkyo's, denon's and yamaha's, I can't see why it wouldn't work on pioneer and sony's or any other make with upconversion.

I personally used this feature to send a component output to my PJ while sending a HDMI output to my TV, when all my devices were connected via component (Damn SkyHD box broke and lost the component connection and now probably gonna get a bluray, so I'm gonna need a HDMI splitter).

k ;)

sbr287

Standard Member
Thanks all for your responses.

I was reading the specs of the Yamaha V465 (actually the HTR-6240) on the buy.com website. It seems as if they are the only site that reports this receiver does up-conversion. This particular model is on sale at Costco (a warehouse club type of store) for $280 at present and looked fairly tempting, especially since they are so good about returns if unforeseen problems arise. However, since the problem is foreseen, there is no point getting it - and I guess I'm back to Dwhite's suggestion of the Denon avr1610 (assuming model avr1610 in the US is same as av1610 in Europe).

re the inability of receivers to convert HDMI signals to non-digital signals; is there a generally recommended way of hooking up a low cost video monitor, in addition to sending a signal to the main high def PJ (that has limited bulb life, requires a darkened room etc)?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom