1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An option to buying a screen

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sandman, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Up until now I have been using a 2m blackout blind from Ikea to project my movies onto (I have only had my projector for a couple of weeks). Anyway I decided I needed a bigger screen than this but couldnt afford to buy a dedicated home cinema screen. The solution I came up with was to paint a screen onto my wall. I projected a blue test screen onto my wall and put masking tape around the image. I then painted the screen with B & Q everywhere white matt paint. Once this had dried I masked over this white screen and also 1.5" from the outside of the screen and painted a black matt border. Once the paint was dry and all masking tape removed, the result was wonderful. The screen is excatly the correct size and in the correct position and the picture is better as there is no ripples on it. And IMHO the finished result looks quite good (although I have had to convince my girlfriend of this). Here is a picture of the finished result (I took it without the flash hence the weird looking colours).

Attached Files:

2. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Nice pic. I wish my wife would let me do the same but I have to go the stealth route...

How wide is it???

3. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Just tell the wife it a piece of modern art painted on the wall. It is 95" wide.

4. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    That looks very good indeed Sandman,still to take the plunge in getting a PJ, and enjoying this wealth of info and ideas on this forum Immensely.

I'll probably go down the DIY route myself as far as the screen goes too.

Can I ask what distance you are from the screen as far as viewing is concerned?

5. Sandman

Sandman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    Hi a general rule of thumb is to sit about 1.5 X the screen width away from the screen. I sit about 3.5m from my screen which works out well for me.

6. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for your reply Sandman, I'm on a tight budget and looking for something like the Sanyo Z1 or Panasonic ae100.....I'd probably go for a distance viewing of 10 feet and had considered a screen size of around 72 inches wide.

I've had a notion to use DRH screen material, but might be swayed to try MDF.....no luck though in My local B & Q........hey, but being positive I've already made a start and got some wood for the frame....so I guess I'm half roads there:D

7. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    looks nice mate