An open letter to purists and newbies

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Hi-Def Andy, Sep 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Hi-Def Andy

Hi-Def Andy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heya Guys (there may be gals but yet to see one post :thumbsup: )

I am one of those people that is new to these forums but have been in and around the industry and read the posts on here for a while now and i'd just like to make a couple of comments regarding the information on these pages.

Basically there are clearly a lot of purists on this site that can see a fault as easily as they blink, i'm not saying its a bad thing in any way because what they notice keeps the industry moving forward and puts pressure on companies to put right their errors! (as well they should!) However Joe Public will not notice these errors without being shown or at least see them but not take notice of them to the degree that a purist would.

My point is basically this: Read the threads on these forums by all means! but do not be put off buying a t.v. because someone has noticed a judder problem or something has happened to them. It is always a good idea to go to a store/shop and view them and make up your own mind without wifey or some store clerk at your side and try and be objective in your purchase. If you think it looks fine and your not seeing any problems or you dont like the settings ask the acne ridden store clerk if you can have a tweek of the settings (im sure they will think they're on to a sale if you do and will be more than happy to do so) and if you find a problem with the set you cant live with then walk away or your not sure come back again in a couple of hours and look again.

Also no t.v is good straight out the box and LCD and Plasma T.V's should be left to stand in their upright position for up to two hours before turning them on so that the item that has been bumped and turned around whilst being delivered and then set up can settle. After all liquid crystals and plasma gasses don really appreciate too much movement. But take the time to set them up properly and use a dvd you know well to check its right, dont just use football as its nightmare to get it set up right and 9 times out of 10 when it looks good for football it looks rubbish for everything else. Though i love the football! (Up the Chelsea!)

I hope this helps people!

Also if you spot any bad grammer i apologise as i am useless at this queens english thing ;)

2. Jonstone

Jonstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +544
    This is true up to a point but the problem is that you can never ever judge a television properly in a shop.

Once you have it at home and you have tasken the time to set it up properly it will look completely different. It is also not until you have owned the set for a while that you will notice some of the little faults that can be annoying. It is very true that if you had never been aware to look for an issue in the first place that you may never have seen it so it is a little like a double edged sword.

Some of the faults mentioned here can be very annoying even to a none purist but some the general owner would never notice, the problem is knowing which is which.

3. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    I do agree as well, but other qualities of a TV such as reliability cannot be seen in a shop. Advice from others about this can be very, very useful!

Jez

4. dognosh

dognosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    agree with your open letter but I would add a bit more
    "take the advice of the AVF 'purists' at the end of the day even if you can't see the judder or backlight problem":thumbsup: