an old freeserve account....need some help please

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by monkfeesh, Sep 14, 2007.

1. monkfeesh

monkfeesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hi, i feel this is the best forum to write this in, and reading all these forums i know you guys and gals are the best to help.

my dad has an old free freeserve email account (actually hes fsnet, but its the same), and used their dial-up for his business email.

orange have obvisouly taken over, but he still uses his original fsnet.co.uk email account, and the same dial-up package

now does anyone know if he was to cancel his dial-up package with orange, would he lose his email account (which was free in the first place)?

its an important question, coz hes using this email address on business cards for potential clients, and he cant afford to lose his email address.....

(to add in aswell, im bringing it up coz they have contacted my dad saying they are closing the dial-up down and switching to broadband, but we wanna find a better deal)

cheers in advance!!

Jon

2. HHGTTG

HHGTTG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Jon.
    Freeserve>Wanadoo>Orange had two dial-up services. One was Pay as you Go (PAYG) and the other was 'Anytime' an unmetered dial-up service for £14.99/month. It is this one that they are terminating in December this year, however your dad can still keep his account/email address by using their PAYG service and which uses an 0845 number and costs between 1p and 3p a minute depending on the time of day (weekends only 1p/min).

You don't make it clear which he was using other than to say 'account' which would impy that he had Dial-up 'Anytime' like me! and have been told, by letter, that you'll be switched to their basic broadband for less than the current dial-up Anytime, unless you phone their customer service and say you don't want it, as indeed I have.

3. Rygar

Rygar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +274
    Sorry this does not help with your particular problem but your dad really would be wise to buy a domain with email forwarding or even separate pop3 mail, so his email address would be something like [email protected] as oppose to [email protected]. It is very cheap to do this...you're talking £5-£10/year max.

Two main reasons for this:

1. Never have to change email address again, regardless of switching ISPs in the future.

2. It looks so much more professional. Especially these days. Nothing looks so amateurish as seeing an ISP based email address on business cards, letterheads & on vans etc. It just screams one man band.

I know it may cause upheaval in the short term, but there really is no good excuse for any business (no matter how small) to be using an amateurish ISP domain email address.

4. monkfeesh

monkfeesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    thanks for your replies. he does have the anytime account, which is £14.99, and yeah, he got the letter saying about broadband. he is literally paying £14.99 to keep his email account safe.

i assume, if he uses the PAYG, he would only have to dial up once every 30 days to keep the account live yes? that way saving his account.

coz he is networked to my broadband on our other phoneline, he donest need the orange broadband they are offering, so the PAYG option seems the best choice for him to safe his email.