An Interview with Paramount's Alan Bell (VP and Chief Technology Officer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

av-phile

Yup, seems like an honest straightforward explanation. But I just find it odd that the reason cited is the HD DVD's stable specs, apart from lower prices. It isn't as if Paramount didn't know about that since day 1 when they intended to be exclusive to HD DVD. So my question is, why did go neutral for 12 months? Just to test the market and have a hands-on experience making BR?

I'd think that the same reason should have been obvious to Warner and New Line. So I hope they make the same switch soon.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
So my question is, why did go neutral for 12 months? Just to test the market and have a hands-on experience making BR?
Perhaps they expected BluRay to stablise quicker than it actually did. From reading the article it seems they were more comfortable working with the DVD Forum than the BDA. This is not surprising IMHO - they have had a working relationship with the DVD Forum since 1996. Remember that HD DVD is the official extension to DVD - BluRay is a breakaway organisation.

DocDVD

It isn't as if Paramount didn't know about that since day 1 when they intended to be exclusive to HD DVD. So my question is, why did go neutral for 12 months? Just to test the market and have a hands-on experience making BR?

My guess: They were counting on the "PS3 effect" which, as we all now, didn't go as well as expected.

DrPepper

PCW: Will this exclusive period extend for a limited time, or is this an indefinite arrangement?

Bell: At this moment in time, it's an indefinite commitment. The core of this announcement comes from our experience, and what our consumers are looking for. We hope this will influence consumers' choices.

not 18 months as most report had said

D

Deleted member 92943

Good read and even better choice on Paramounts part :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom