1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An interesting read

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by MattB1, Jun 10, 2005.

1. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    A fascinating read in light of some of the recent debate on this issue.

As well as the obstacles he's overcome he also shows the areas of strength the c8080 has over it's more illustrious rivals. His results speak for themselves.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great article & goes to show how everyday cameras can produce great results in the right hands.

4. RobertP

RobertP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see he used a c5050 - I still have mine. For the type of pictures the site shows it would be ideal. Mine is not that good in low light. It has a large f1.8 lens which helps but if you increase the iso to try and get a faster shutter speed the images become noisy.

I have been in an Oly users group for a few years now. Most of the early c8080 owners have moved on to the E300 DSLR now. They are all pretty loyal to Olympus (written by a canon owner :D ) This is the user groups' photo site . Lots of great pictures there.

I was thinking I would sell my c5050 now I have a DSLR but I will probably keep it. I understand what a compact camera can do and I have some great shots from my 5050 - some enlarged, framed and hanging on the wall.

My DSLR can take pictures of similar quality - but it can take them in a much wider range of conditions. It can also take some pictures you could never get with a compact camera - or would be difficult to achieve with a compact. It is also very large, expensive and takes a lot of learning.

In any application - if you have a job to do you get the tools to do it. The range of abilities made me choose DSLR. If I was in this guys situation I might come to the same conclusion as him.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As robert said really, that camera is perfectly suited with some effort for the what Alex shoots.

There's no doubting how great compacts are

6. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this statement hits the nail on the head :

The bloke in the article cleary has an extarodinary talent which enables him to use his camera beyond the capabilities of most compact users. As a compact owner myself (Olympus C765) I find it interesting to read this kind of article because it makes me appreciate that I can get a lot more from my camera than I am doing. I'm not trying to turn this into another compact / DSLR debate - we all know the strengths and weaknesses of compacts and DSLR's.
    I just found it interesting that a photo journalist would intentially opt to use digital compacts rather than an SLR - It isn't often that you see this.

Matt.

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're right matt it's a very interesting piece.

I think anybody that's in to photogrpahy would love the chance to get to take pictures like people on the ground in iraq ect get to take with any camera. Capturing history there would become the issue. It really should be the only issue at the end of the day

If i could get a chance to go to places like alex, i'd use a polaroid and not complain.