An interesting article

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by wolfe, Jan 15, 2002.

1. wolfe

wolfe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
    The link doesnt appear to work!:confused:

3. Simon55

Simon55

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    paste it into a browser ;)

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,097
  5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Copied and pasted:

"Ordinary human beings should not have to understand jargon like this: progressive, interlaced, 5.1, 7.1, 480i, 480p, 960i, 1080i, 16/9, 4/3, 3:2 pulldown, anamorphic, stretched, expanded, large speakers, small speakers, matrix sound. It is too much. Why should the ordinary consumer have to know all this?."

Because the other option is ignorance and stupidity. People who don't research and can't be bothered to know a few basics of any major object, machine or system they plan to spend large quantities of money on are dumb, and deserve all they get. And gladly - and smarmily of myself I know - they usually do get it.

6. The Boogerman

The Boogerman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Seems fair comment to me. The only way home cinema will become truely affordable will be to simplify to some degree. I can't be that far off that new movie releases will come down the cable/satellite link in anamorphic 5/6/7.1. Top end systems will be always available for the enthusiast, but your average home consumer will not be interested in spending the time configuring and tweaking, they will want an out of the box single solution. But this has happened with HiFi. Separates for those who want improvements, all-in-ones for those who need convenience. Whatever. If it helps to reduce cost and helps other people to enjoy films without other peoples phones/kids/etc. spoiling it then its a good thing. I don't see cinemas folding though, digtal projection should standardise the qualiity, and there is a benefit to a shared experience (minus the git factor). We'll see.

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    The standards are coming and all the manufactuers are talking.

I do think comparing it to the humble computor standards rather interesting I've never had a PC that upgraded properly but that's because I don't understand them and I call on others and their expertise.

It's only confusing if you want to get into a level beyond your depth but surely that's true with any technology.

With places like this forum available to every one I don't see why it should be a problem.

I love it being all complicated and different standards because I like seeing people in the shops squirm.

8. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i don't realy see what the problem is

hc aint realy that complicated is it . is it just me or is it realy that dificult to connect a few scarts and phono cables up

to get just a normal low level hc up and running . i'm sure even my mum could do it (and she can't do anything).

the way i look at it it's only when you add a hcpc and or a nice crt in to the mix that things start to get a little less staight forward . even then all the info that you could posably want and need is on this and other forums :D

as for saying pcs are easyer to sort out than an hc "his he mad". how manny people out there has got a new peace of kit for there hc that did not work at all with there other stuff? now how manny people have got somthing for there pc and been unable to get it to work with the pc? :rolleyes:

9. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You see guys alot of people would like ht to be plug'n'play like their home PC! and I also found in most cases sales people lack the knowledge on the equipement they sell hence forums like this one become the learning centre for most.Those that ask first here end up more the wiser...through other people mistakes but because sales people are in the position to "play" with different equipement they are not going to tell someone pj A is better than pj B they are more likely to sell the higher price unit on the assumption its better..and most likely it is..but at a higher price!
    cheers Laurie