An innovative home theatre solution?

vence04

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a newbie at all of this but I think I have come up with an innovative setup.

I have my boiler, a deep freeze and other equipment on one side of my basements.

I figured out what I think is a clever solution to maximise screen size while still retaining access to them.

I will mount the 124" 2.4:1 screen on a plywood frame and hang the frame from chains in the ceiling. It will then fold up into the ceiling by pressing a button which will cause straps connected from the ceiling to the bottom of the screen using this solution:
https://garagesmart.com/collections/all/products/universal-xl-hd

I think if I get an acoustically transparent screen, I can mount my front speakers and sub woofer to the frame and back of the screen and have them lift up to the ceiling as well.

I would appreciate thoughts on the set-up as well as whether the speakers I have cobbled together should work, or if the quality is inconsistent and I should upgrade or downgrade some of them.

Here is a floor plan in 2d and 3d
Floor plans and interior design - Planner 5D

Projector: Epson HC 5050UB
Epson Home Cinema 5050UB - Audio General Inc.
Placed on a shelf just below the ceiling

Screen:
Silver Ticket 124" 2.4:1 acoustically transparent screen
S7-239127-WVS Silver Ticket Products Thin Bezel, 127" Diagonal, 2.39:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Format, 4K Ultra HD Ready, HDTV (6 Piece Fixed Frame) Projector Screen, WVS Woven Acoustic Material With Black Backing

Throw distance: 170"-190"

7.1 sound systems set up like this:
Best Speaker Placement with your Couch Against The Wall | BoomSpeaker

AV Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V6A 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver with MusicCast
should work with Dolby Atmos through the Yamaha Presence Speaker system

Speakers:
Subwoofer behind acoustically transparent screen: The Speedwoofer 10S Subwoofer MKII - RSL Speakers
Center speakers behind acoustically transparent screen: S35 Signature Center Channel Speaker | Polk Audio™

Left and Right Surround Speakers, on wall next to couch:
On-wall Speakers, Wall Mounted Speakers - Crutchfield

Same model to be used for rear speakers on wall behind couch

Overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos / Yamaha Presence, mounted above the couch
Polk Audio 70-RT

Hi
As you come in through the internal door what is the walled space to the left going to be used for? Just curious.

Also on the floating wall to the left of the couch, the left surround speaker is not as far forward as the one to the right. Maybe you could move it to the right-hand side of the wall, therefore, keeping them equidistant from the listener.

At the top left of the basement is what appears to be corridor space. It is actually a mud room (the stairs up to the kitchen are at the top of the plan, and the door to the garage is on the left. Separating that mud room from the theatre is cubbies/lockers for skis and boots etc, going from the floor to about 5 feet. Then from five feet to the ceiling is a shelf, facing into to the home theatre where I can put board games, trophies and potentially speakers (though it may be a bit high given listeners will be sitting on the couch below it. I have amended the plan so hopefully it is clearer.

Speaker moved. Thank you for the tip?

Any views on the equipment, or number of speakers? I wonder if I am spending too much or too little in places

As far as equipment and numbers of speakers go that should be dictated by what is affordable to you. If you can, the best way to go is full Atmos 7.2.4 however, I have a 5.2.4 setup and it is amazing.

I like the idea of the screen having pulleys lift it up (for access to the freezer and boiler etc?) I'll be interested in how the speaker wires will be lifted too. You could make your life easier and swap the screen to where the couches are currently then you would have room for a door/opening to the freezer and boiler. I know this may impact screen size a little but it would mean the screen and speakers would not have to be moved.

Left and Right Surround Speakers, on wall next to couch:

Same model to be used for rear speakers on wall behind couch

Overhead speakers for Dolby Atmos / Yamaha Presence, mounted above the couch
Polk Audio 70-RT

Are you aware that the V6A will not drive surrounds, surround backs and front presence at the same time? It has 7 internal amplifiers and only pre outs for the front speaker channels.

As mason27091 suggests spin the room, you can build a false wall behind the sofa and conceal the AV Kit, Projector and loudspeakers behind the seating position.

Build out a shallow false wall at the other end of the room to take the front speakers, in-wall sub(s) and AT screen.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom