1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An ignoramus enquires

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Miyazaki, May 26, 2005.

1. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I plan on getting a HDTV or HD projector in the near future with the next gen of consoles, but what are the main disadvantages/advantages of a projector over a tv and vice versa?

It seems that projectors are a heck of a lot cheaper than tvs, yet seem to produce the same image quality and a much larger picture?

Thanks for any comments!

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Rear projection (and front projection) displays are often dimmer than direct-view CRTs (and direct view LCDs and Plasmas for that matter), and so don't cope as well in bright rooms. For a front projector, the larger the screen the dimmer the image for a given lamp brightness.

Rear projectors often use "lenticular" lensing on their screens - this makes the picture brighter when viewed straight on, but at the expense of dimmer images "off-axis", compared to direct-view CRTs/LCDs/Plasmas.

Apart from CRT projectors, all other main-stream projector technologies (LCD, DLP) use interlace->progressive conversion, as they are inherently progressive panel devices. This conversion can introduce a quality loss on 1080i sources compared to a 1080i native CRT device.

3. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    That's interesting, I didn't know that about RPTVs. Do you know which of the latest, on-sale, RPTVs use lenticular lensing? Thanks.

4. SIDEARM

SIDEARM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too am on the lookout for a good way to display the upcoming consoles in hi-def. I came to the conclusion that an LCD tv was the best compromise on size, space required and price (prices seem to be dropping all the time). My only concern with these technologies is finding a way to play hi-def games without suffering from smearing which seems to be a problem inherent in both LCD tvs and projectors. Hopefully with all the HD-Ready tvs being released in the next few months there will be a reasonably priced range with quick response times available before the XBOX 360 is launched (I am very interested to find out what response times the new range of toshibas will have (xxWLT58)). Alternatively microsoft has partnered with Samsung and all XBOX 360 demo pods will be using their new range LExxR41B I believe (12ms response time apparently).