1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idle thought...

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gilbers, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Gilbers

Gilbers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Deos anyone know why a projector couldn't use a cluster of high-intensity LED's instead of the bulbs they currently use?

In theory they could offer some fantastic benefits. They run completely cool, so the PJ could be fan-less and therefore silent and effectively immune to dust problems. Also, the bulb-life of the PJ would probably become a non-issue.

I'm guessing that even the amazingly bright LED's that they do these days are still too dim when compared with a PJ bulb - or maybe it's a colour purity issue?

2. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Although LED technology has advanced significantly in the last few years, they still aren't in a position to compete with the light output from high power incandescant/gas discharge lamps.

It's a myth that LED's run completely cool, they do not. Currently the efficiency of the very high power LED's is simmilar to incandescent lamps, i.e. very low.

The life of the highest power LED's is also fairly limited, and I supect this will be reduced further as they push the light output higher. I wouldn't exepct colour temperature to be too much of an issue, this is determined by the phosphors in white LED's in the same way as fluorescent tubes.

3. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
    What we want are LASER projectors.

Reg green and blue laser beams to scan the image on the screen.
    As much resolution as you care to throw at it. No screen door, no disortion....

How far away we are from a home version I don't know, but I know it's up and running.

4. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    What about if you accidently look into the beam - wouldn't you end up having to sell the projector or is what you are suggesting must lower strength.

5. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunately to get a nice bright, large picture you have to have a pretty powerfull laser(s), certainly one bright enough to cause eye damage. This would be a non issue as long as the laser is producing a raster, i.e. scanning, but if for some reason it stopped (as beam deflection will most likely be mechanical) then it could become dangerous.

6. Tempest

Tempest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,305
  7. PLVideo

PLVideo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about sulfur lighting? I think this would be perfect for it, although perhaps it would be better with a miniature version that won't blind you. Maybe instead of a bulb the size of a golf ball, perhaps a bulb the size of a grain of rice would be more appropriate.

The light emitted from one of these sulfur bulbs is equal to over 75 standard 100 watt incandescent lamps, although the sulfur bulb emits only 5% of the heat. The photo to the right shows a 1000 watt Metal Halide lamp for comparison. The Sulfur lamp produces 20% MORE light.​

http://www.sulfurlamp.com/tech.htm
    http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/sulfur-lamp-fixture.html