1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An idea too far??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Guy10, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Guy10

Guy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just embarking on a dedicated home cinema room. Been reading a lot on speaker position etc etc.....quite often the advice is to not have flat walls, or glass covered pictures hanging on the walls, but to have fabric hangings or rugs hanging on the wall to improve acoustics....

Taking the idea one step further...does anyone have any views on floor to ceiling curtains along either one complete wall....or even the two sides and the rear wall???

A quick search found me http://www.cheapfabrics.co.uk/thestore/product_info.php/cPath/94_44/products_id/517.

Double width of 3 x 11ft long, 7.5ft high walls would cost about £350.

Would add to cinema-like ambience (!?!), improve soundproofing from rest of house/neighbours, eliminate the need to repaint, chase cables into walls etc etc.

A good idea?, a tacky idea?, would it kill the acoustics? would it improve the acoustics?

Any views

Thanks

Guy

2. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Last year I was lucky enough to be involved with the installation of a floatation tank in a very large Mansion on Guernsey. The guy who owned it has a dedicated basement cinema about the size of a fairly large living room and his setup has floor to ceiling curtains on all four walls. They are black with some very nice subtle musical patterns in gold. This has resulted in the darkest room possible which I think was one of his main priorities as he is running a Seleco Data 900 CRT projector. The carpet is about as thick as you can get, but the sound is absolutely superb (although as it is all Meridian kit it should do!) The whole effect however looks stunning, and I have to admit I'd do the same thing in my Cinema if I had the cash. Guess you need to be careful that the material is fire retardant tho.

3. pemberto

pemberto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    There seem to be two schools of thought for multi-channel av rooms:

1. screen wall should be absoprtive (dead), and lower walls should be too. Upper walls (above ear height) should be reflective (live) as should the ceiling.

2. All walls should be dead, as you don't get reflections in real life, and that's what you're trying to emulate.

In my case, due to a lot of 'slap echo' in the room, I went for idea 1 and put black foam backed carpet on the screen wall, and grey carpet on the lower side walls (using thick wallpaper paste). The upper walls and ceiling were painted Kodak 18% grey to neutralise any reflections and preserve the projected image clairity. I've some pics on my web-site if you're interested.

In my case, it seems to work, and I'm very happy with the results. If you wanted, you could carpet from wall to ceiling - I've seen it done and I think it looks great too. The owner is very pleased with the sound too. Accoustically my room may befar from ideal, but the carpet did the trick with the echo.

The black screen wall carpet helps float the screen as you can't see anything around it. Some put black carpet for a meter or two uin front of the screen so that no reflected light can distract you from the movie.

The carpet I used was pretty cheap - about £2 a sqr meter for the screen wall (£20 IIRC), and not a great deal more for the sides. Accoustic treatments may work better, but for cost/performance, carpet certainly is hard to beat, especialy if you've a small budget.

The advantage of using thick wallpaper paste, is that it will be easily removed using a steamer or similar. Using impact adhesive would mean a tough job to remove the remaining foam etc if you ever needed to take it down (like if you sold the house).

Gary.