Question An HDMI 2.0 (4K60hz) matrix?

PDakota

I've been eyeing up this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Matrix-Switch-Splitter-FullHD-Control-4-2-Outs-4KMX42/dp/B01EV3LMBW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I need a matrix (not a switch) where one potential combination is a PS4 Pro to a 4k TV. The one linked above only advertises 4K30hz (however one reviewer says they got 4K60hz).

I've been searching but I can't find a matrix that supports 4K60hz that isn't prefessional-grade and costs £000s.

I do have the option of simply plugging the PS4 Pro direct into the 4k TV, but obviously it would be nice to not have to.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Requiring a Matrix would suggest you have multiple Sink devices (Display, Projector, AVR, Soundbar or Capture card) do all of your Output devices have the same capabilities?

Capabilities - '4K' is a pretty global term now that we have HDR, SDR, Atmos, DV etc do you have a list of all of the Features you require to be supported?

Matrix - how many Inputs do you require?

Joe

PDakota

Hi Joe

Rather unusually I suppose, I have a two TV set up in my lounge. My partner and I both play PS4 online together on separate consoles. We have recently both got into PC gaming, again through both TVs. We often have discussions about who gets "the big TV" and often have to swap cables around etc depending on our needs.

Outputs: 1x 4k OLED, 1x 1080p LED
Inputs: 1x PS4 Pro (4k HDR), 1x OG PS4 (1080p HDR), 1x PC (hdmi out, 1080p), 1x laptop (hdmi out, 1080p)

As we have two outputs it seems a matrix is what we need (otherwise we'll need to buy two switches, one for each TV). A matrix will allow total control over which source goes where. So if we're gaming on our PCs and then she wants to watch a blu-ray that's in her PS4, but we also want to swap TVs (so she can watch her blu-ray on 'the nice TV'), we can do that without having to physically swap cables, or even get up.

I appreciate that there are very few true 4k60 games on PS4 Pro and there's the argument about 'true' 4k etc. etc.. However I'm thinking about future proofing.

Hope that makes sense. Do you still think a matrix is what we require?

PDakota

Sadly that's just too expensive simply to get hdmi 2.0 capability. However thank you for linking it, I hadn't seen that before.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Features - ignore talk of HDMI Version numbers and instead focus on the Features you require as many HDMI Features are optional so saying a device is HDMI x.x compliant does not confirm which Features it actually supports.

Matrix - is potentially what you require, though be aware you will need one with decent EDID management to ensure you do not 'limit' what your Source device(s) are Outputting depending on who is watching what and where. Ensure any Matrix you consider supports the full Feature set of your most capable devices.

HDFury - as you say are not inexpensive but do offer a lot of Features and are highly customisable, the recently released Diva being one of the few Dual Output devices which supports 4K UHD/HDR pass-thru plus simultaneously provides a 1080p HD/SDR Output.
HDFury Diva - The Media Factory

Joe

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The HDFury Diva has 4 x HDMI Inputs plus 1 x HDMI Out (with scaling Option) + 1 x HDR>SDR 1080p Out + 1 x HDMI audio Out; HDFury Diva - The Media Factory

The HDFury Vertex2 has 4 x HDMI Inputs plus 2 x HDMI Out (with scaling Option) + 1 x HDMI audio out; HDfury Vertex² - The Media Factory

There are other differences in terms of supporting Ambient lighting and testing Lag on Displays etc - the key difference for most folk with a Home Theatre system is going to be the HDR>SDR 1080p Out on the Diva when you have 1 x 4K, HDR capable display + 1 x HD, non-HDR 'legacy' Display.

Joe