An extra bonus from letting Sky replace my old boxes last May

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by InvisibleDuncan, Feb 10, 2014.

1. InvisibleDuncan

InvisibleDuncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +405
    On Saturday night, the high winds caused the pole that the Sky dish is fixed to to shear off at the lower of the two brackets, leaving the dish flapping about and us having no signal. I've temporarily repaired it with masking tape and string (I'm a real handyman, obviously) but as that won't last I figured I'd bite the bullet and get Sky to come around and replace the pole. I assumed I'd end up being charged £60 as they actually installed the pole 14 years ago, but the customer service bloke arranged it free of charge because I'm still under warranty.

It seems that when Sky offered to replace my old non-HD boxes with new HD ones for no charge last May (which I accepted), the extended 12 months minimum term also extended the warranty for the dish. Bonus!

2. Xclorist

Xclorist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thats pretty good, they seem to be very helpful lately with a lot of things, I got half price full main package and multiroom then rang up and got a 2TB upgrade box for £49. Happy days.

3. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    If the pole sheared like that it was the wrong sort of pole. Durrell poles shear aluminium ones don't.

4. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    They weren't very helpful for me. My 1Tb box died and they offered a free 500Gb box (with a quarter of the free space in our broken box), or wanted the full £249 for a 2Tb box. I have been paying them almost a grand a year for over 15 years and everyone on these forums said they usually only want £49, so I was a bit cheesed off and cancelled, which is a shame after so long with them.

I spoke to them a few times and on the very last call from the retentions department (which lasted over 2 hours!) they finally offered the 2Tb box. I said yes please but then their computer system wouldn't allow it. Basically "computer says no".

So we are going to see if we can survive without Sky, and if not then add TV to our Virgin phone and broadband package.

So they aren't always very helpful!

5. Xclorist

Xclorist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Wow, my advise to you is to write to the head office, see if they can do anything for you, thats terrible

6. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    2 hours?! I wouldn't have spent two minutes on the phone - writing is much better.

7. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Admittedly a lot of the first half hour was spent discussing sport and the last half hour was spent swapping cards between my two boxes (one broken and one practically obsolete) to try to get the computer to say "yes". Basically they didn't want to give me the box until they were sure that I wasn't bluffing about leaving, which is fair enough.

It was a very amicable call and in the end it was the computer system that put a spanner in the works. I got the feeling that they were a separate company to Sky because there didn't seem to be much they could do in terms of getting round it.

Anyone know a good email address or physical address to write to?

8. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    They're not a separate company and it wasn't down to the computer!
    [email protected] is the address.

9. IanM

IanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Might as well start at the top I guess!

If it wasn't the computer then they probably enjoyed themselves making me swap cards around and wait half an hour to see if pairing them up with each other's boxes helped.

10. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,778
    Your guess is almost certainly correct!
    The message won't actually go to the CEO, but you will get an answer from a "Service Excellence Consultant" who may - or may not - be better than the average agent.

11. InvisibleDuncan

InvisibleDuncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +405
    Well, the problem has now got worse. When I got home last night none of the Sky boxes were receiving a signal (signal strength at 0 and no lock), but we were still able to watch recorded programmes from the planner. I've just had a text from my wife to say that she can't even access the planner now, which is a bit of a nuisance. A quick rummage on this board tells me that the boxes can't access the planner if they aren't getting a signal. Seems like a bit of a flaw to me, but presumably there's some security consideration or other behind it.

The Sky bloke is due tomorrow, so hopefully he'll get us up and running again.