An evening with Roy King FRPS

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Tobers, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    Guildford Photographic Society meets about 100 meters from my house every Monday so I thought it would be rude not to become a member. I linked up with Gordon who is nearby as well so we could brave the trauma together.

Very nice bunch of people actually.

Last night, they had a guy called Roy King as their guest speaker. He's a Fellow of the Royal Photography Society which is big stuff I can assure you. I thought we'd be getting a rather dull show and tell of a bunch of his pictures, but it was quite the opposite.

This guy has the most amazing eye for a photo I have ever come across. His style is all dull light, haze, mist, desaturated colour. He obviously has a lot of patience as he told us that he'd wait for hours in a tea room for the right looking person to come and sit under a particular picture to get a particular shot. More patience than I've got that's for sure.

The vast majority of his photos were simply really really good. His explanations of them added a lot as well. Most impressive for me were his urban pics. I'm not at all ashamed to say that I was inspired by them.

So, whilst up in London today, I thought I'd try to put some of his tips into action. Gordon will know what I'm on about here, but I'm v.interested in the opinions of the rest of you.

Firstly though, here's an old one I dug out that I took in Munich. This would have been good for the "out of place" comp last month. The wierd "R" brings colour to an otherwise bland scene. The businessman is completely ignoring everything around him as so often happens. Lots of little details like the skater's water bottle on the kerb to examine.
    [​IMG]

Now onto this morning's shots. I saw this green expanse with nothing on it, and the "watch this space" wording in orange, along with the orange umbrellas. So I thought I'd watch the space as instructed to see what happened. It turned out that quite a few people walked across it, and after a while these two guys strolled over. They are perfectly in step, dressed the same and look like twins. Did they know they were performing on a stage? Apart from me, the only other person watching was the little yellow man.
    [​IMG]

Here's a very bland almost monochromatic scene with a splash of red from the lady's jacket. I first saw the dull colourless building and matching pavement/courtyard and thougth it would look good with a bit of colour. I waited here for about 10 minutes for someone with some colourful clothing to go in (it's the Inland Revenue at Somerset House I think), and eventually these two got out of a taxi and in they went. Compositionally I think I should have done better on this one but it was tricky finding somewhere to stand and wait. I need to look around a location in more detail before I settle on a spot I think.
    [​IMG]

Again, very bland colours. The railing leads nicely to the sleeping tramp/down&out in the corner. The commuters are studiously ignoring him (her?) as is the way in London. Slowish shutter speed to reinforce the stillness of the sleeper and the movement away from the scene of the commuters. Would have been good if the sleeping bag was red but you cant have them all.
    [​IMG]

Lastly for now, this is my favourite. It looks like the guy in the white sunglasses is an escaped mannequin from the shop that has found his way outside. The mannequin behind him is looking on with disdain. I managed to get the lady on the right to mirror the mannequin on the left. Again, spotted the potential for this shot, waited about 5 mins, got a clear spot with no people walking past (this is Topshop in Oxford Circus at lunchtime!). No direct sunlight, muted colours, intriguing poses.
    [​IMG]

I've got to say that I found this whole exercise immensely fulfilling. Following Roy King's advice and spending time looking for a potential shot, then waiting to see if someone/something happens to make the shot. I was lucky I had some time to spare as you need patience. I had a lot that didn't work out, and a few more that did but I didn't want to bore you with just yet :boring:.

Cheers!

Tobers

2. bodoman

bodoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,873
    Like them all Tobers, i have always been a fan of natural photographs, they depend more on composition and content, than perfect exposure and focus (to get both is nicer of course)

Latest trends lean more to photoshopping with layers, curves, stiching and merging etc, nothing wrong with that at all if thats whats brings you pleasure
    but my personal preferences are those of the genre that you have posted

Very pleasing indeed :smashin:

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,101
    Fantastic. I like them all but watch this space and the last one really really stand out.

I have to add to Tobers comments about Roy Kings pictures. They were immense. As good if not better than most of the urban stuff I've seen on Pbase and Flickr and the chap must be in his 70's (not to denegrate older folk but when you see the style of images he takes they appear to me more in line with what I expect of younger folk). I was so impressed I wrote him a letter of thanks this afternoon and sent it off, something I've not done for a long long time.

Now I need to have a shot!

Gordon

P.S. Tobers you have to enter these in the print compo

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Great stuff.

As one of the wedding photographers I use for inspiration says, 'There's no such thing as the perfect image, only the perfect moment'.

5. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Tobers - rating your work as always, would have made a good entry into the 12 in 12, exactly the knid of thing we is looking for.

Everyone else, post more non pp shots

Edit : shot 3 is very observer/independent on sunday type

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    I always do - aside from mono conversions that's it.

7. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I did think about the 12 from 12 but had the small matter of the iPhone launch in the middle which rather screwed things up. I'm dead keen to have another go and do a 12 from 12 though.

Thanks for the comments :thumbsup:.

Slightly laterally, I only just managed to drag myself away from buying a 1D3 today. Camera World near Oxford Circus actually had one in stock which is highly unusual. Also, they were selling at at £2599!! Usual price is £2999. Aside from not having enough money (but with lots of credit card capacity), I'd also need a couple of lenses like a 16-35 (£1100!!) and a 24-70 f2.8 or a 24-105 f4 IS which screws the budget somewhat. Very very very nice though. I am proud I walked away :rolleyes:.

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    The force is strong in this one.

That 16-35 is a real factor on the 1D3 though isn't it - and makes it a large amount more. I'd always be wanting wider than the 24-70 would give on a 1.3x crop.

9. milkmanchris

milkmanchris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Buy the glass, better investment.

Why would you need the 1D3 anyway, its not the camera its the eye behind it.

10. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    'watch this space' is a great photograph. Really nicely spotted and captured.

11. tontoshorse

tontoshorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    Top class effort (naturally), #2 and the last one for me (especially the last one - now if only you had the patience to wait until the lady on the right put her hand to her chin....)

12. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    That's precisely what I was waiting for...one of the players to put their hand on their chin, preferably the guy with the glasses. No dice though unfortunately :mad:.

Ta for the feedback :thumbsup:.

13. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +616
    I think the shots you took as a result of this chaps influence all work really well.
    Mrs 159 keeps reminding me I don't have enough patience to be a photographer, and she's right, but I think that is, to an extent, down to the lack of free time and a pressured time-contrained lifestyle. Something I'd like to push back against as much as possible.

This is really interesting stuff, thanks for this thread. Have to say I'm a bit beyond/bored with the technical side of photography at the moment so this is very refreshing.