An enlightening day with the Genelecs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Smurfin,

Thanks for your feedback. I've changed a couple of things with my speaker setup. Firstly I've reduced the toe-in which has helped take away some of the brightness I referred to. Secondly, I have set the bass tilt to -4db and bass roll off to -2db. This has resulted in a less congested sounding bass, which has in turn made the midrange clearer.

I need to spend some more time switching between the Genelec's and ATC's, to see if what I perceive to be a more natural sound from the ATC's is actually as you say just smoother, and lacking in detail compared to the Genelec's.

All my comments so far have been with regard to music. Last night I watched excerpts from Kung Fu Panda and The Dark Knight through the Genelec's for the first time and was mighty impressed. There's no comparison between my ATC's and the 8040's when it comes to movies. The 8040's are far more dynamic...and they go VERY loud :devil:

The HT208's are out of stock at Genelec. When they have some to send to my dealer, I'm going to see if they will let me borrow a pair to compare against my 8040's. I can't help thinking that the bigger driver, coupled with a forward firing port will be better suited to my room.

On the other hand, ATC also do an active speaker (SCM16a) which has the same driver as the passive SCM11's.....this might be the best of both worlds for me, but they ain't cheap :rolleyes: Finding a dealer who will lend me a pair is also proving difficult.

Decisions decisions :)

PS regarding my room, I'm sitting 2.2 metres from the speakers. We are going to extend this room in a few months, at which point I will be approx 3.5 metres away.

Decisions decisions :)

I'm in a similar boat to you, currently contemplating an 8040+8030 setup to hang off the end of an Audiolab 8000AP and Linn MajikDS for 5.1 and stereo.

I had concluded from my armchair that the 8040s would be sufficiently 'full-range' and have more than enough SPL output for me and your comments are re-assuring. At some point I'm going to get along to Digital Village for a listen and will probably come home with a full set :rolleyes:

On the discussion on other options, had you considered Event Opal monitors? They are the same price as the 8050s and are reputed to have better midrange. They are also front-ported and come with a few more room correction tweaks, including a single-band parametric EQ. They are out of stock in the UK until the end of May though.

I'm in a similar boat to you, currently contemplating an 8040+8030 setup to hang off the end of an Audiolab 8000AP and Linn MajikDS for 5.1 and stereo.

I had concluded from my armchair that the 8040s would be sufficiently 'full-range' and have more than enough SPL output for me and your comments are re-assuring. At some point I'm going to get along to Digital Village for a listen and will probably come home with a full set :rolleyes:

On the discussion on other options, had you considered Event Opal monitors? They are the same price as the 8050s and are reputed to have better midrange. They are also front-ported and come with a few more room correction tweaks, including a single-band parametric EQ. They are out of stock in the UK until the end of May though.

How far away will you be sitting from the 8040s? I would suggest if you can accomodate them and make the stretch, to go for the 8050s (although they are significantly bigger and it really does depend on how far away you're sitting).

btw if anyone is interested, I may have a pair of mint, barely run-in HT206s (8040 equivalent) for sale shortly.

How far away will you be sitting from the 8040s? I would suggest if you can accomodate them and make the stretch, to go for the 8050s (although they are significantly bigger and it really does depend on how far away you're sitting).

btw if anyone is interested, I may have a pair of mint, barely run-in HT206s (8040 equivalent) for sale shortly.

I'll be sitting 4m away.

I don't doubt that the 8050s will be better with the bigger drivers and DCW waveguides and the same HF unit as the 3-way units.

They are getting rather on the large side though and relatively costly, hence the interest in the Event Opals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom