an AVF secret santa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMOS DAN

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi guys, was just reading this thread over on talkphotography:

Secret Santa

could anyone set something up like this for our forums ? could be an interesting idea. Id try but i know i would mess things up somewhere, maybe a more senior member?

just an idea anyway!

Last edited:
I've seen it work well on a number of forums, but the advantage they have is that those forums are very specific - boardgames, photography.

The boardgames forum in particular allows you to maintain an online list of games that you have and you want.

So when it comes to secret santa, people general give and receive presents that are wanted.

The disadvantage with AVF is that it covers such a wide range of topics, so it won't be as easy to pick out gives that your assigned recipient would want (or doesn't have already).

Cheers,

Nigel

When it comes to small gifts then it's not so much of a big deal - I don't imagine you can buy much for people with photography interests that will relate to photography for under £5 :D

Doing a secret santa at home with my family to cut expense this christmas

was thinking of getting dad this for his workshop

Attachments

• normal_pub_sign_guinness.jpg
    normal_pub_sign_guinness.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 45
I've seen it work well on a number of forums, but the advantage they have is that those forums are very specific - boardgames, photography.

The boardgames forum in particular allows you to maintain an online list of games that you have and you want.

So when it comes to secret santa, people general give and receive presents that are wanted.

The disadvantage with AVF is that it covers such a wide range of topics, so it won't be as easy to pick out gives that your assigned recipient would want (or doesn't have already).

Cheers,

Nigel

But thats the joy , it could be completely random , or we could have a list of particular fields.

For a fiver it would just be abit of fun :)

If you read their thread it said gifts in no way have to be photography related

count me in! with what you was saying you about what to get, you could always look into the person you got history and see there interests etc this could work real good!!!!

great idea Vamos dan

guys to gauge interest in how many would be interest drop a thanks on the opening post (not fishing for thanks!)

OR if a mod could add a poll to the thread ie

AVF Secret Santa, would you be interested?

YES

NO

Looking at your thanks count I think you may be!!! :D

haha honestly not, like i said or if a poll can be incorporated to the thread??

I'm just pulling your leg, I think it's a good idea :thumbsup:

I'm not a fan of Christmas but I'm open to novel ideas like this.

Last edited:
We did this at work a couple of years ago.
Maximum of a fiver.
I got very close to buying someone a car.
Long story, but it would have been legit and would have been a laugh.
But the logistics were a pain, so I gave up at the last minute.

TBH, I was so disgusted by the lack of effort made by the other participants that I vowed not to take part again.
The girls bought their recipients candles.:boring:
I got a DVD that the buyer had evidently just grabbed from the bargain bin at Asda, with no concern as to whether I'd actually like it, or even find it funny.:rolleyes:
I at least put some thought into it, by getting the foul-mouthed receptionist a T-shirt that said "I've got ****ing tourettes".

Last edited:
we had one on the forums last year , think it was exclusive to the 360 thread regulars though :thumbsup:

this could be a GC one then :thumbsup:

I set up the elfster and sent a dummy invite to my brother and all looks good

Last edited:
We did this at work a couple of years ago.
Maximum of a fiver.
I got very close to buying someone a car.
Long story, but it would have been legit and would have been a laugh.
But the logistics were a pain, so I gave up at the last minute.

haha that wouldv been awesome!

I'm in!

I love Christmas!

How would we make sure eveyone actually buys presents for people though?

Would we have a middle man?

no thats what im saying, if you look at the link above, the guys says there will obviously be people who dont receive gifts , whether it be the senders fault or mail, but nothing could be done, keeping it at a fiver doesnt make it as bad should this occur

thats why post counts, and time on site would have to come in, imagine a bunch of newbies! haha nobody would receive anything!:laugh:

I'm in!

I love Christmas!

How would we make sure eveyone actually buys presents for people though?

Would we have a middle man?

Think the way SI did it last year was to gather everyone's addresses that wanted to take part , then randomly pm people's address to those taking part. you would then get your gift senders address, they would then get yours :smashin:

I don't see the need to use a 3rd party site to do anything, all it takes is (as above, someone to organise it and send out a few PMs) :thumbsup:

I don't see the need to use a 3rd party site to do anything, all it takes is (as above, someone to organise it and send out a few PMs) :thumbsup:

id be up for organizing, aslong as i dont get harassed if people dont receive anything lol :laugh:

agree with what you said, id stick to spreadsheet and pm's if people want to take part

any suggestions on rules?

ie over 500 posts? and must have been registered on the site for over 6 months?

How many people to limit it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom